CONTENTS of STATISTICS WITHOUT TEARS
Introduction. How to use this book.
1. Statistical inquiry. Making sense of experience. What is statistics? Descriptive and inferential statistics. Collecting a sample.
2. Describing our sample. Statistical variables. Error, accuracy and approximations.
3. Summarizing our data. Tables and diagrams. Central tendency (averages). Measures of dispersion.
4. The shape of a distribution. Skewed distributions. Introducing the normal distribution. Proportions under the normal curve. Comparing values.
5. From sample to population. Estimates and inferences. The logic of sampling. A distribution of sample-means. Estimating the population-mean. Estimating other parameters.
6. Comparing samples. From the same or different populations? Significance testing. The significance of significance. Comparing dispersions. Non-parametric methods.
7. Further matters of significance. One- versus two-tailed tests. z-tests and t-tests. Comparing several means. Comparing proportions.
8. Analysing relationships. Paired values. Three kinds of correlation. The strength of a correlation. The significance of a correlation coefficient. Interpreting a correlation coefficient. Prediction and regression.
Postscript. Review. Caution.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Derek Rowntree has qualifications in Economics and Education as well as a higher doctorate awarded for his contribution to developing open and distance learning. He has worked in industry as well as in schools, colleges and universities in the UK and abroad. For some years, he has been Professor of Education Development at the Open University, where he takes particular interest in vocational education.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Penguin Books, 1981. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0140223266
Book Description Penguin UK, 1981. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 140223266