THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERN YOUR USE OF THE ABEBOOKS WEB SITES (THE "WEB SITES") OPERATED BY ABEBOOKS EUROPE GMBH ("AbeBooks EU"). BY USING THE WEB SITES, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND SIGNIFY THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREED TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOU MAY NOT USE THE WEB SITES.
1. Changes to these Terms and Conditions AbeBooks EU may, in its discretion, change, supplement or amend these Terms and Conditions as they relate to your future use of the Web sites from time to time, for any reason, and without any prior notice or liability to you or any other person, by posting the modified Terms and Conditions on the Web sites. You may not change, supplement, or amend these Terms and Conditions in any manner. Each time you use the Web sites, you acknowledge and signify that you have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by these Terms and Conditions as they then read.
2. The AbeBooks EU Customer Agreement These Terms and Conditions supplement the AbeBooks EU Customer Agreement, which applies to registered AbeBooks EU customers. The AbeBooks EU Customer Agreement may be viewed by clicking here.
3. Permission to use the Web sites The Web sites may be accessed and used only by individuals who are able to enter into legally binding and enforceable contracts. Users of the Web sites must comply with all applicable laws. Persons in jurisdictions may not use the Web sites where access to or use of the Web sites or any part of them may be illegal or prohibited. If you breach any provision of these Terms and Conditions, you may no longer use the Web sites. AbeBooks EU may in its discretion refuse permission to access and use the Web sites.
The Web sites are made available to you for your lawful, personal, non-commercial use only. You may access and browse the Web sites only using commercially available, SSL-capable Web browser software. You may print or download the pages of the Web sites for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you do not modify any of the pages or other content and you do not remove or alter any visible or non-visible identification, marks, notices, or disclaimers. The Web sites and their content may not be copied, imitated, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, modified, indexed, catalogued, or distributed in any way, in whole or in part, without the express prior written consent of AbeBooks EU. You may not reproduce, copy, duplicate, sell, or resell any part of the Web sites or access to the Web sites.
4. Disclaimer The Web sites are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and without any representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, whether express or implied, and including without limitation implied conditions, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, performance, durability, security, availability, or accessibility, all of which are hereby disclaimed by AbeBooks EU to the fullest extent permitted by law. You are solely responsible for: (a) obtaining, configuring and maintaining all computer hardware, software, telephone services, and other equipment and services necessary for You to access and use the Web sites; (b) scanning for and preventing the receipt and transmission of viruses, Trojan horses, worms or other destructive or disruptive components; and (c) maintaining a complete and current backup of all of the data contained on your computer system prior to accessing or using the Web sites.
Regardless of the nature of the claim or the reasons for the loss and damages, AbeBooks EU's liability is limited to foreseeable and direct damages only. AbeBooks EU will not under any circumstances be liable to you or any other person for any loss of use, loss of production, loss of income or profits (anticipated or otherwise), loss of markets, economic loss, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage or punitive damages, whether in contract, tort or under any other theory of law or equity, arising from, connected with, or relating to the use of the Websites by you or any other person.
In no event will AbeBooks EU's total liability to you or any other person for any claims, proceedings, liabilities, obligations, damages, losses, and costs, whether in contract, tort or under any other theory of law or equity, and regardless of any negligence or other fault or wrongdoing by AbeBooks EU or any person for whom AbeBooks EU is responsible, exceed the lesser of €25.00 or the purchase price of the Item that is the subject of the claim.
The exclusion of certain warranties and the exclusion or limitation of certain liabilities is prohibited by law in some jurisdictions. Such limitations may apply to you. The warranty disclaimer and liability exclusion and limitation clauses survive indefinitely after the termination of this Agreement.
5. No Advice The Web sites are not intended to be a comprehensive or detailed statement concerning the matters addressed; professional or expert advice or recommendations; or an offer or recommendation to sell or buy any book or other item, product or service. You should seek appropriate, qualified professional advice and recommendations before acting or omitting to act based upon any information provided on or though the Web sites.
6. Communications Communications sent to AbeBooks EU by means of the Web sites or email are not considered delivered or effective unless and until they are actually received and processed by AbeBooks EU's responsible representative.
7. Web site Content AbeBooks EU is not obliged to monitor, screen, police or edit the use of the Web sites, including postings of materials to the Web sites, although AbeBooks EU reserves the right to do so in its discretion. AbeBooks EU will respond as it considers appropriate, in its discretion, if it becomes aware of any inappropriate uses of the Web sites, including without limitation uses that constitute copyright infringement. You may report any claims or concerns (including copyright infringement claims) regarding Web sites or their content by sending an email to DesignatedAgent_EU@abebooks.com.
8. Ownership of the Web sites Copyright © AbeBooks Europe GmbH 2002-2017. All Rights Reserved. The Web sites and their content (including all information in text, graphical, video and audio forms, images, icons, software, design, applications and other elements available on or through the Websites) are the property of AbeBooks EU and others, and are protected by international copyright and other laws. Your use of the Web sites does not transfer to you any ownership or other rights in the Web sites or their content.
9. Other Sites The Web sites may include advertisements for, and links to, other web sites or resources and businesses operated by other persons, including sellers ("Other Sites"). Other Sites are independent from AbeBooks EU, and AbeBooks EU has no responsibility or liability for or control over Other Sites, their business, goods, services, or content. Links to Other Sites are provided solely for your convenience. AbeBooks EU does not sponsor or endorse any Other Sites or their content or the goods or services available through those Other Sites. Your use of Other Sites and your dealings with the owners or operators of Other Sites is at your own risk, and you shall not make any claim against AbeBooks EU arising out of your use of any Other Sites or your dealings with the owners or operators of any Other Sites.
10. Linking, Framing, Mirroring, Scraping, Data-Mining or Postings Links to the Web sites without the express written permission of AbeBooks EU are strictly prohibited. To request permission to link to the Web sites, please contact DesignatedAgent_EU@abebooks.com. The framing, mirroring, scraping or data mining of the Web sites or any of their content in any form and by any method are strictly prohibited.
You may not use any collaborative browsing or display technologies in connection with your use of the Websites or to post comments, communications, or any other data of any kind to or on the Websites with the intention that other users of the Websites may view such postings.
12. Unsolicited Submissions If you send any unsolicited ideas, suggestions or other materials, including ideas for new advertising campaigns, new promotions, new or improved goods, services or technologies, product enhancements, processes, materials, marketing plans, or new product names ("Submissions") to AbeBooks EU or the Web sites, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of the Submissions grants) to AbeBooks EU and its assigns a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, unrestricted, non-exclusive, world-wide, assignable, sub-licensable, right and license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display and otherwise exploit the Submissions or any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques associated with the Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, using any form, media or technology now known or later developed, without providing compensation to you or any other person, without any liability whatsoever, and free from any obligation of confidence or other duties on the part of AbeBooks EU or its assigns, and you agree, represent and warrant that all moral rights in the Submissions are waived in favour of AbeBooks EU and its assigns.
13. Software Agreements AbeBooks EU may cause software to be available for you to download from the Web sites or through other websites. The software is protected by copyright. These Terms and Conditions and the software licence agreement specific to the software govern your downloading and use of the software.
14. Other Matters These Terms and Conditions and all related matters are governed solely by the laws of British Columbia, Canada and applicable federal laws of Canada, excluding any rules of private international law or the conflict of laws which would lead to the application of any other laws. The United Nations Convention On Contracts For The International Sale Of Goods does not apply.
For all disputes between AbeBooks EU and You or any other person arising from, connected with or relating to the Web sites, these Terms and Conditions, transactions facilitated or conducted through the Web sites, Items ordered or purchased through the Websites, dealings between You and AbeBooks EU, or any related matters or any legal relationship associated therewith or derived there from ("Disputes"), the relevant parties will attempt to find a reasonable solution least onerous to the parties. If a Dispute cannot be resolved by the parties, then the Dispute will be subject to German law (the United Nations -Convention on the Sale of Goods - Un-Kaufrecht - shall not apply) and: (a) if You qualify as a merchant within the meaning of the German Commercial Code (HGB) or if You have Your permanent residency or Your registered office in Germany, the Dispute will be resolved exclusively before the courts in München, Germany; and (b) if You are not a merchant within the meaning of the German Commercial Code (HGB), You may elect to have the Dispute resolved either before the courts in München, Germany or the courts of the country in which you have permanent residency.
The European Commission provides for an online dispute resolution platform, which you can access here: (https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/). If you would like to bring a matter to our attention, please contact us.
If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severed from the rest of these Terms and Conditions and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
No consent or waiver by either party to or of any breach by the other party of these Terms and Conditions will be deemed or construed to be a consent to or waiver of a continuing breach or any other breach of these Terms and Conditions by that party. No consent or waiver will be effective unless in writing and signed by both parties.
You expressly request and require that these Terms and Conditions be drawn up in the English language.
Any rights not expressly granted in these Terms and Conditions are reserved to AbeBooks EU.
These Terms and Conditions are subject to change without notice.