Wing Commander Walter Gibb, Assistant Chief test Pilot of the Bristol Aeroplane Company, photographed shortley before taking off on his record-breaking flight in his Olympus Canberra.

GIBB, Walter.

From Krul Antiquarian Books (Hoofddorp, Netherlands)

AbeBooks Seller Since 14 October 2005 Seller Rating 3-star rating

Quantity Available: 1

Buy Used
Price: 78.93 Convert Currency
Shipping: 27.37 From Netherlands to U.S.A. Destination, rates & speeds
Add to basket

About this Item

Filton, Bristol, Bristol Aeroplane Company Ltd., 1953. Original photograph, silver print, 23,6 x 13,9 cm, with stamp and mounted letterpress on verso. Wing Commander Walter Gibb, who has died aged 87, was twice decorated for gallantry as a night fighter pilot before becoming a test pilot with the Bristol Aeroplane Company, when he flew the Brabazon and Britannia airliners; during the early 1950s he flew a modified Canberra bomber, twice breaking the altitude record for an aeroplane. - Gibb and his observer, FM Piper, took off from Filton, near Bristol, on May 4, 1953 in an English Electric Canberra bomber powered by two Bristol Olympus engines. Climbing to the west, the Canberra reached an altitude of 63,668 ft, more than 4,000 ft higher than the previous record. - Bomber Harris thought the Dambusters' attacks on Germany 'achieved nothing'The flight attracted worldwide attention and Duncan Sandys, the Minister for Supply, sent a telegram of congratulation in which he said: "To reach these truly Olympian heights is a triumph for the pilots, designers, research staff and workpeople of the Bristol Aeroplane Company and English Electric Company." - Flying the same Canberra, fitted with more powerful Olympus engines, Gibb made an attempt to break his record on August 29, 1955. Again taking off from Filton, he climbed over the Bristol Channel towards Ireland and levelled off at 50,000 ft in order to burn off fuel to lighten the aircraft before continuing his ascent. - He turned east and finally reached a new record altitude of 65,876 ft (nearly 12.5 miles high) over Bristol. Gibb, who was flying solo, observed: "The last 500 ft took an awfully long time. It was the most difficult flying I have ever experienced." - The son of a Scottish mining engineer, Walter Frame Gibb was born near Port Talbot on March 26, 1919. After completing his education at Clifton College, he joined the aero-engine division of the Bristol Aeroplane Company as an apprentice in 1937. - In May 1940 he joined the RAF and trained as a pilot. He was identified as above average and selected to be a flying instructor despite his limited experience. After two years training students to fly twin-engine aircraft he joined No 264 Squadron flying Mosquitoes on long-range fighter sorties over the Bay of Biscay, giving support to the anti-submarine aircraft patrolling the area. On March 22, 1943 he shared in the destruction of a Junkers 88 bomber. - In low-level attacks against targets in northern France, Gibb damaged seven locomotives, and, during a later sortie, the formation he was leading destroyed two German fighters. In July he was awarded the DFC for his "skilful leadership, great courage and tenacity". - In July that year he was appointed as a flight commander with No 605 Squadron, and on September 14 led six Mosquitoes to provide support for eight Lancasters of No 617 (Dam Buster) Squadron which was due to make a daring low-level raid on the Dortmund-Ems Canal. But Gibb, flying ahead of the formation, reported very poor weather; the bombers turned back, although not before one of the veterans of the Dams Raid was lost. - The following night a further attempt was made. Gibb and his Mosquitoes went ahead and attacked the flak and searchlight positions near the canal. As the Lancasters prepared to bomb, three of the big bombers were shot down by anti-aircraft fire. When Gibb returned to base he learned that five of the eight, which included other survivors from the Dams Raid, had been lost. - Gibb went for a rest tour to the test squadron of the Central Flying School, where he flew many aircraft types and was assessed as an exceptional pilot. In September 1944 he was promoted to wing commander and given command of No 239 Squadron. - In a six-week period during February and March 1945 he was credited with shooting down five enemy aircraft during long-range night intruder sorties over Germany and France; and in May he was awarded the DSO. He left the RAF nine months later and returned to Bristols as a test pilot, becoming chief test pilot in 1955. - During the war the Bristol Company had started to design a "super-bomber" with a range of 5,000 miles. The idea was abandoned, but it led to the huge airliner, the Brabazon, with its eight engines, twin-coupled and buried in the wings. - On the morning of September 4, 1949 more than 10,000 people gathered to watch the chief test pilot, Bill Pegg, and his co-pilot Gibb complete the taxi tests before taking off on the aircraft's maiden flight. As the crowds on the ground cheered, the story was transmitted around the globe in what was one of the first uses of live outside broadcasting after the war. - In an era devoid of good news, such was the value of this aircraft that the Queen was introduced to the crew and all the newspapers ran stories about the event. Some 250 reporters and photographers, television and newsreel staff were on hand, more than had ever before assembled in Bristol for a single event. - Apart from Pegg, Gibb was the only other pilot to fly the Brabazon. On his first flight in command (the aircraft's thirteenth) the airliner suffered a hydraulic failure, and Gibb was forced to land the aircraft without the flaps. Eventually the elegant Brabazon was scrapped as being uneconomical. - Gibb carried out a great deal of the test flying of the turbo-prop Britannia. On one flight he was checking the stalling characteristics of the aircraft. As he selected the flaps up, the big airliner rolled on to its back (unknown to Gibb, one of the flaps had failed to retract). - After losing many thousands of feet, he managed to regain control. Asked later what he had done, he replied: "I undid the last action I had made." By putting the flaps back down, he had restored the balance of the aircraft. - In March 1955 Gibb took a Britannia to Johannesburg, with only one refuelling stop at Khartoum, arriving in just under 19 hours, some two hours quicker than the Comet jet airliner. This impr. Bookseller Inventory # 41284

Ask Seller a Question

Bibliographic Details

Title: Wing Commander Walter Gibb, Assistant Chief ...

Store Description

We specialize in old and rare books on voyages, travel, colonial and maritime history and original photographs of the 19th & 20th century. We offer digital catalogues relating to our specialities several times a year. If you also would like to receive these lists online, please let us know your e-mail address and we will include you in our e-mail mailing-list. You can also view the catalogues on the website of the ilab/lila: Alternatively you are welcome to visit our website to browse our frequently updated inventory. You can search in one of the main directories: Books, Photographs or Maps and Prints with a search form, or you can search in our subject catalogues. Requests and orders can be placed by using our shopping cart. We are members of the Nederlandsche Vereeniging van Antiquaren (NVvA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).

Visit Seller's Storefront

Terms of Sale:

Postage and insurance is additional. We accept Visa, Master Card and PayPal.

Shipping Terms:

Orders usually ship within 2 business days. Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.
Shipping costs will be accurate calculated after ordering of items. Please ask for excact shipping rates, special for better rates on smaller items.

List this Seller's Books

Payment Methods
accepted by seller

Visa Mastercard American Express

PayPal Bank Draft Bank/Wire Transfer