Modernist Cuisine (Free Sipping)
Available From More sellersView all copies of this book
PRICE INCLUDES FREE PACKING & SHIPPING (US ONLY). INTERNATIONAL CALL FOR COST Volume 6 is spiral bound. A truly stunning work that reveals the science-inspired techniques of Modernist cuisine breaks all the boundaries of the culinary arts. Step by step illustrations as well as clear explanations of how these professional techniques work accompanied by brilliant new photographic techniques showing aspects of food not seen before. A must have reference work for the serious home cook, the professional, or lovers of culinary history. Bookseller Inventory # 002278
About this title:
A revolution is underway in the art of cooking. Just as French Impressionists upended centuries of tradition, Modernist cuisine has in recent years blown through the boundaries of the culinary arts. Borrowing techniques from the laboratory, pioneering chefs at world-renowned restaurants such as elBulli, The Fat Duck, Alinea, and wd~50 have incorporated a deeper understanding of science and advances in cooking technology into their culinary art.
In Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking, Nathan Myhrvold, Chris Young, and Maxime Bilet--scientists, inventors, and accomplished cooks in their own right--have created a six-volume, 2,400-page set that reveals science-inspired techniques for preparing food that ranges from the otherworldly to the sublime. The authors and their 20-person team at The Cooking Lab have achieved astounding new flavors and textures by using tools such as water baths, homogenizers, centrifuges, and ingredients such as hydrocolloids, emulsifiers, and enzymes. It is a work destined to reinvent cooking.
How do you make an omelet light and tender on the outside, but rich and creamy inside? Or French fries with a light and fluffy interior and a delicate, crisp crust that doesn't go soggy? Imagine being able to encase a mussel in a gelled sphere of its own sweet and briny juice. Or to create a silky-smooth pistachio cream made from nothing more than the nuts themselves. Modernist Cuisine offers step-by-step, illustrated instructions, as well as clear explanations of how these techniques work. Through thousands of original photographs and diagrams, the lavishly illustrated books make the science and technology of the culinary arts clear and engaging. Stunning new photographic techniques take the reader inside the food to see cooking in action all the way from microscopic meat fibers to an entire Weber grill in cross-section. You will view cooking and eating in a whole new light. A sampling of what you'll discover:
- Why plunging food in ice water doesn't stop the cooking process
- When boiling cooks faster than steaming
- Why raising the grill doesn't lower the heat
- How low-cost pots and pans can perform better than expensive ones
- Why baking is mostly a drying process
- Why deep-fried food tastes best and browns better when the oil is older
- How modern cooking techniques can achieve ideal results without the perfect timing or good luck that traditional methods demand
Many invaluable features include:
- Insights into the surprising science behind traditional food preparation methods such as grilling, smoking, and stir-frying
- The most comprehensive guide yet published on cooking sous vide, including the best options for water baths, packaging materials, and sealing equipment; cooking strategies; and troubleshooting tips
- More than 256 pages on meat and seafood and 130 pages on fruits, vegetables, and grains, including hundreds of parametric recipes and step-by-step techniques
- Extensive chapters explaining how to achieve amazing results by using modern thickeners, gels, emulsions, and foams, including example recipes and many formulas
- More than 300 pages of new recipes for plated dishes suitable for service at top-tier restaurants, plus recipes adapted from master chefs including Grant Achatz, Ferran Adrià , Heston Blumenthal, David Chang, Wylie Dufresne, David Kinch, and many others
A Revolution is Underway in the Art of Cooking
Modernist Cuisine is an interdisciplinary team in Bellevue, Washington, founded and led by Nathan Myhrvold. The group includes scientists, research and development chefs, and a full editorial team?all dedicated to advancing the state of culinary art through the creative application of scientific knowledge and experimental techniques.
Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking is an encyclopedic treatment of cooking. Its six volumes of 2,438 pages explore the history of cuisine and explain the science of cooking in a way that?s accessible to both professional chefs and home cooks. Created by a team of scientists, chefs, editors, and writers, these volumes explore research spanning the field of culinary science, with careful attention to practicality and applicability in the kitchen. Through gorgeous illustrations and otherworldly techniques, this set will inspire you to innovate in your own kitchen.
Title: Modernist Cuisine (Free Sipping)
Publisher: The Cooking Lab, Bellevue, Washington
Publication Date: 2011
Illustrator: Ryan Matthew Smith and Nathan Myhrvold
Book Condition: As New
Dust Jacket Condition: As New
Edition: First Edition, First Printing
Book Type: 6 Volumes, 5 in Lucite Slip Ca
Payment Methods Accepted by Seller
Pembroke Pines, FL, U.S.A.
AbeBooks Seller Since 01 August 2012
We guarantee the condition of every book as it's described
on the Abebooks web sites. If you're dissatisfied with your
purchase (Incorrect Book/Not as Described/Damaged) or if
the order hasn't arrived, you're eligible for a refund
within 30 days of the estimated delivery date. If you've
changed your mind about a book that you've ordered, please
use the Ask bookseller a question link to contact us and
we'll respond within 2 business days.
Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.
Store Description: Private internet only seller of cookbooks, modern first edition fiction, history, photography and art. Some antique publications Some Periodicals Some 20th century newspapers