This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1853 Excerpt: ...belonged for many generations to the Prior of the Hospital of Jerusalem. They were granted by the then Prior, to Walter son of William Bagworthy, from whom was descended John Bagworthy who sold this land in 1399, to Robert Lord Harrington, at that time Lord of the Manor of Brendon. The parish of Brendon, adjoins Somersetshire; Countisbury lying between it and the sea on its 'N.W. side. It contains 6733 acres, of which 44 are roads and water. The Church was formerly at Cheriton, where the remains of the old Church existed at the beginning of the last century. A new Church on the present site was built in 1733, upon land part of the Brendon Barton estate, given for the purpose by the Chichester family. This Church getting out of repair the whole of it with Or what purports to be an Act of Parliament. There is every reason to suppose the printed paper distributed to the purchasers at the sale, as copies of the-Act, are forgeries, there is no date or reign cited in or upon them, nor any printers name, and upon searching the journals of the House of Commons there is no entry to be found of any such Act ever having been passed. the exception of the two main walls was re-built in 1828, at a cost of £600. It may be as well to mention here that the word Barton, will be frequently met with in this county. It is from the Saxon, signifying "an area "--Blount, says it means the demesne lands of the manor; the manor house itself and sometimes the outhouses and yards--hence it has become applicable to the homestead of a farm generally. In this neighbourhood it is generally applied to the largest farm in the parish--Brendon Barton, Ley Barton, etc. The living is a Rectory, of which Mr. Knight of Exmoor, is the patron. The rent-charge in lieu of Tithes is ...
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.