This text intends to transform students from passive observers of mathematics to participants in it. The book employs a spiral development of ideas to blend the requirements of problem solving, analytical thinking, computational technique, and applications, and emphasizes the interplay of algebraic and geometric concepts. It includes an extensive number of exercises, ranging from routine to challenging. The Third Edition offers 40 percent new material, including manynew applications. It incorporates MATLAB to demonstrate how computational software tools can be used in this field.
* Offers a proven, successful approach to Linear Algebra
* Contains a practical presentation, illuminating examples, and exceptional exercises, thus enabling instructors to emphasize computational techniques, theoretical material, and applications
* Includes a wide variety of effective applications
* Provides a student friendly writing style
* Begins with the familiar and proceeds to the new in a well-motivated manner
* Acknowledges current reforms and proceeds from there
* Explains how to solve some examples in MATLAB, demonstrating how such software tools can be used in this field
* Includes student projects at close of chapter exercise sets
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Adil Yaqub is a Professor of Mathematics at the University of California at Santa Barbara. He served as Department Chair for four years and as chair of the Southern California Section of the Mathematical Association of America for two terms. Dr. Yaqub has published texts on pre-calculus, calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra; he has also published numerous research articles in many mathematical journals. During 1982, he was named by Morton Board as Teacher of the Month at UCSB. Yaqub is a member of the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America.
Hal G. Moore is a Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at Brigham Young University. He is listed in Who's Who in America and has been a member of the American Mathematical Society, the Mathematical Association of America, and Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society. He was also the Planning Director for the Utah State Mathematics Coalition during 1990-1991.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 1998. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110125057601
Book Description Academic Press, 1998. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0125057601