INTRODUCTION TO RELATIONAL DATABASES AND SQL PROGRAMMING
This text provides hands-on instruction to relational database design and management using Oracle examples. The proven format features step-by-step tutorials, end-of-chapter reviews, practice questions, key term lists, and lab projects.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
From the Publisher
- The course is an introduction to the use of a database management program, including database structure, accessing, editing, and searching files, and designing and producing reports and labels.
- Covers data modeling, including the entity relationship diagram, normalization, designing database structures, and quality issues.
- Teaches students how to use SQL to sort and retrieve data and perform advance data manipulation chores.
- Includes real-world, case study examples that use the Oracle 9i database.
- Case studies, step-by-step tutorials encourage students to learn by doing in real-world context.
From the Back Cover
Essential IT Skills for On-the-Job Success
Learn to use a database to transform vast amounts of information into orderly, correlated data. Introduction to Relational Databases and SQL Programming introduces fundamental database concepts, then teaches you how to store, retrieve, and manipulate data and how to use SQL and PL/SQL. Using Oracle9i as an example, the book offers hands-on tutorials and exercises, including the Clapham Specialty Store case study, so you can apply your skills to real-world business scenarios. Inside this book, you will learn how to:
- Work with key database components--tables, rows, records, columns, and fields
- Store and retrieve data
- Perform advanced data manipulation
- Control SQL*Plus
- Apply Oracle SQL built-in functions
- Determine when to use an index
- Create PL/SQL programs
- Read data models
- Design a database structure
- Normalize your database and correct data anomalies
- Analyze data quality issues
Each chapter includes:
- Learning Objectives
- Many Figures and Illustrations
- Clapham Specialty Store Case
- Step-by-Step Tutorials
- Real-World Examples
- Cross Check Exercises
- Inside Information Sidebars
- Helpful Notes, Tips, and Warnings
- Chapter Summaries and Key Term Lists
- End-of-Chapter Quizzes and Lab Projects
CD-ROM includes trial version of Oracle 9 i
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.