Authored by a famed novelist -- an elegantly written treasury of culinary memories, recipes, tips and stories that is as pleasurable to read as it is to cook from.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Laurie Colwin is the author of five novels: Happy All the Time; Family Happiness; Goodbye Without Leaving; Shine On, Bright and Dangerous Object; and A Big Storm Knocked It Over; three collections of short stories: Passion and Affect, Another Marvelous Thing, and The Lone Pilgrim; and two collections of essays: Home Cooking and More Home Cooking. She died in 1992.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Old-Fashioned Steamed Chocolate Pudding
1. Melt 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Let cool.
2. Sift 1/2 cup of sugar.
3. Beat one egg until light. Add the sugar to it gradually and beat until creamy.
4. Add melted chocolate and then add 1 tablespoon melted, cooled butter.
5. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Resift with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Add to the egg mixture in three parts, alternating the thirds with 1/2 cup of milk in three parts. Beat until smooth after each addition.
6. Pour into a buttered pudding mold. Cover with waxed paper tied down with a rubber band and steam in a kettle for one hour.
This pudding tips nicely out of its mold and looks like a baked hat. It is delicious with a raspberry puree, or with whipped cream. Some people like it sliced with a little jam. Steamed puddings have a wonderful satiny texture: half a pudding, half a cake and the nicer half of each.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800609752271.0
Book Description HarpPeren, 1992. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0060975229
Book Description Perennial, 1993. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0060975229
Book Description HarpPeren, 1992. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110060975229
Book Description HarpPeren. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0060975229 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW6.1022239