Follow the conflict of the World War 1 from 1914-1918 through a unique collection of historical maps, expert commentary and photographs. Published in association and including mapping from the archives of the Imperial War Museums.
Over 150 maps demonstrating how the Great War was fought around the world.
Types of maps featured:
• Small scale maps showing country boundaries and occupied territories
• Large-scale maps covering the key battles and offensives on all fronts of the war
• Trench maps showing detailed positions of the front line
• Maps from newspapers, battle planning and propaganda
Key offensives covered include:
• The Battles of the Marne and Ypres
• Tannenberg and the Eastern Front
• Verdun and the Somme
• The Gallipoli Campaign
• Battle of Jutland
• The Advances to Jerusalem, Damascus and Baghdad
• Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele
• German 1918 offensives and Allied counter-offensives
• Battle of Jutland
Along with the maps, key historical events are described, giving an illustrated history of the war from an expert historian.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"A visual feast for the eyes" All About History
"This book should be high on the list of any serious reader with a general interest in the First World War. For those interested in the history of military mapping, it is essential." Military History Monthly
“the appeal of this richly illustrated work lies in the maps – barrage maps, diagrams of "battlefield geometry" for artillery, diagrams showing the elevation of craters made by exploding mines, and pioneering aerial photography.” Richard Norton-Taylor, The Guardian
“A fascinating collection… All those who love studying maps will thoroughly enjoy tracing the conflict as it unfolded.” This is England Magazine
“Of the many publications appearing to mark the centenary of the outbreak of World War I, this book must stand above the crowd, offering a fascinating new angle on the subject.” Your Family TreeBook Description:
The Great war through maps from 1914 to 1918
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2014. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0007522207
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2014. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110007522207