The 100th volume of the prestigious New Naturalist series, written by one of Britain's best-known naturalists, explores the significance and history of woodlands on the British landscape
‘Trees are wildlife just as deer or primroses are wildlife. Each species has its own agenda and its own interactions with human activities…’
This 100th volume of the New Naturalist series presents a landmark in natural history publishing. Looking at such diverse evidence as the woods used in buildings and ships, and how woodland has been portrayed in pictures and photographs, Rackham reconstructs British woodland through the ages.
Aimed at the non-specialist, ‘New Naturalist Woodlands’ investigates what woods are and how they function. In lively style, Rackham takes us through:
• How woods evolved and how they are managed,
• The basic botany (understanding roots, partnerships, longevity, tree-rings),
• Outline of woodland history,
• Pollen analysis and wildwood,
• Archives of woodland and how to study them,
• Different types of woodland,
• The rise and fall of modern forestry.
Illustrated with beautiful colour photographs throughout, this New Naturalist is set to be a classic for collectors and general readers alike.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
• ‘Rackham has been a great champion for real woods and against the endless postwar conifer plantations – a campaign now largely won. Here he is writing not as a conservationist, but simply to share his prodigious knowledge of woods and trees with the reader.’
• ‘…the 100th addition to the New Naturalist library, and a highly significant landmark in the history of this marvellous series. It’s a magnificent compendium of evocations, celebrations and warnings – the harvest of a long lifetime, gathered slowly but with unflagging passion.’
• ‘A huge compendium of a book, the culmination of a lifetime’s work…All distinguished scientists should take this as their model.’
• “Magnificent, masterful… For those of us who worship trees, Rackham is our (slightly grumpy) High Druid. A true classic.” The List in The WeekAbout the Author:
Oliver Rackham is a name synonymous with woodlands. He has written various books on trees and woodland, most recently a second edition of Ancient Woodland: its history, vegetation, and uses in England. Dr Rackham (OBE) is currently Praelector Rhetoricus at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins, 2006. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Ex Library Book with usual stamps and stickers. A few small marks to the page edges. A slight tan to the page edges. Good condition is defined as: a copy that has been read but remains in clean condition. All of the pages are intact and the cover is intact and the spine may show signs of wear. The book may have minor markings which are not specifically mentioned. Most items will be dispatched the same or the next working day. Bookseller Inventory # mon0005547908
Book Description Collins, 2006. Book Condition: Good. This is an ex-library book and may have the usual library/used-book markings inside.This book has soft covers. In good all round condition. Bookseller Inventory # 6364410
Book Description Collins, London, 2006. Soft cover. Book Condition: Fine. 1st paperback edition. large Octavo. pp xlv, 609. New Naturals Library. Prior owner date and note to HTP. Shows slight wear. Bookseller Inventory # 025322
Book Description Collins, London, 2006. Book Condition: As New. 609p green paperback, excellent condition, as new, first reprint, this title was published in the series New Naturalist. Bookseller Inventory # PAB 177541
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2006. Book Condition: Used. This Book is in Good Condition. Clean Copy With Light Amount of Wear. 100% Guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_usedgood_000720244X
Book Description Collins, London, 2006. Softcover. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. First Paperback. 8vo. In the New Naturalist series, green card covers, light crease to spine. 609pp. Bookseller Inventory # 55504
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2006. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Good condition, some are ex-library and can have markings. Bookseller Inventory # GD-000-X4-5565005
Book Description Collins, UK, 2006. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: As New. Rackham's classic. New Naturalist 100. Very readable and full of insight. pp.xiv.609. Illus Size: 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Bookseller Inventory # 004953
Book Description Collins, UK, 2006. Cloth. Book Condition: As New. Dust Jacket Condition: As New. New Naturalist 100. A classic exposition. pp.xiv.609. Illus. Num. figs. DW brodarted. Size: 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Bookseller Inventory # 005785
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2006. Book Condition: very good. Gently used. Expect delivery in 20 days. Bookseller Inventory # 9780007202447-3