This book contains all the essential information you’ll need to grow beautiful treess and shrubs in your outdoor garden, all done in the high-quality Practical Gardener style.
Trees and shrubs display wonderful foliage that can liven up any garden. Let the Collins Practical Gardener show you which species and varieties will work best for you.
The bulk of the book comprises a comprehensive directory of the most common trees and shrubs available. Entries include:
• Background information on general characteristics, planting and care
• A visual chart listing the most popular varieties and cultivars, with instantly-accessed information on blossom colour, height, spread, hardiness, moisture and sunlight requirements
• Seasonal guides indicating when the plant is in blossom and fruit
• A table of plant care with concise advice on soil, site, general care, pruning and pests and diseases
• Expert tip boxes for the best results
The book opens with a practical guide to essential gardening techniques that covers:
• Assessing your plot for soil quality, drainage, sun and shade
• Where to buy and how to tell if the plant is healthy
planting with rootballs, exposed roots and plants in containers
• Creative ideas for planting combinations
• Caring for shrubs throughout the year
• When and how to prune
• Increasing your stock with propagation techniques
The book closes with a section on plant problems that includes:
• A trouble-shooting flow chart to help identify the problem
• An exhaustive directory of all the pests and diseases you are likely to do battle with
This comprehensive and accessible guide is all you will need to plant and maintain a gorgeous tree and shrub garden.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Keith Rushforth is the leading expert on trees in Europe. He has written ten books on trees, shrubs, conifers and other horticultural subjects, including the Collins Wildlife Trust Trees of Britain and Europe (1999), Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guide to Trees (1980) and The Easy Tree Guide (Arum, 2001). He is a Chartered Forester and Arboricultural Consultant, and also a Member of the Institute of Horticulture, who delights in making hunting trips in search of plants.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins. Paperback. Book Condition: Brand New. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk000714654X
Book Description Collins, 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 000714654X