Numerous books have been written which deal with transport problems in developed and developing countries, and with the planning and management of transport organisations in developed countries, but none deals specifically with the planning, regulation, management and control of public transport in developing countries.
This book meets that need. It examines and explains the problems and characteristics of public transport systems in developing countries, and discusses the alternative modes, management methods, and forms of ownership, control, regulation and funding, with particular emphasis on what is appropriate at different stages of development and for different cultural backgrounds. It deals with urban, rural and long distance transport services, principally by road. This emphasis reflects the magnitude of the urban transport problem, and the predominance of road transport in most developing countries. The planning of bus services, particularly in urban areas, is covered in some detail, since this is often an area of considerable weakness. Similarly, the management of transport services and the maintenance of vehicles, including vehicle design and transport fleet planning, are also dealt with in depth.
The book is aimed at all those who are involved in the provision of public transport in developing countries, including transport planners, managers of transport undertakings, aid agency and government officials responsible for the funding, provision or regulation of transport, transport consultants and advisers, and in particular students of transport or urban and rural affairs. Since there is much in common between transport operations in the developing world and in developed countries, this book should be of interest to transport operators and planners everywhere.
· The book is unique in that it provides a comprehensive overview of all the factors involved in planning, establishing, organizing and regulating public transport services in a developing country.
· It deals with the environment in which transport services are operated, in particular infrastructure requirements, road traffic management, regulatory and institutional frameworks and enforcement of regulations; it highlights the importance of an appropriate environment in order to facilitate the provision of public transport services, and shows how such an environment may be achieved.
· It deals in detail with all aspects of running a bus service in a developing country: the chapters on management are specific to a public transport operation and could be used as an "operator's manual", providing a valuable supplement to a more general management textbook.
· The book provides useful statistics and performance indicators which will be valuable as benchmarking tools.
· While acknowledging that the same solutions are not necessarily applicable everywhere, the book provides useful pointers to solutions to the main problems encountered in providing public transport services in developing countries.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"...this volume deals specifically with planning, regulation, management and control...particular emphasis on what is appropriate at different stages of development, and on the different cultural backgrounds within which operators must act...detailed coverage of urban bus services, often an area of considerable weakness. Management of transport services and vehicle maintenance, design and fleet planning are dealt with in depth...aimed at everyone involved in the provision of public transport in developing countries, including transport planners and consultants, managers, NGO and government officials, and students."
Railway Gazette International
"Iles' work will certainly be a useful reference source for undergraduate and professional transport students, and in-service trainees."
-Gordon Pirie, JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT GEOGRAPHY (2005)
By Richard Iles
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # AIND-1164
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Ship by express service to USA, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, UK, Germany and Netherland. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-190516-3827
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHAK3827
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # AUSBNEW-1164
Book Description Elsevier. Book Condition: New. pp. 478 This item is printed on Demand. Bookseller Inventory # 7396568
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800804455881.0
Book Description EMERALD, 2005. Hardback. Book Condition: NEW. 9780080445588 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Bookseller Inventory # HTANDREE01177632
Book Description Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0080445586
Book Description Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2016. Paperback. Book Condition: New. PRINT ON DEMAND Book; New; Publication Year 2016; Not Signed; Fast Shipping from the UK. No. book. Bookseller Inventory # ria9780080445588_lsuk
Book Description Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2005. HRD. Book Condition: New. New Book.Shipped from US within 10 to 14 business days.THIS BOOK IS PRINTED ON DEMAND. Established seller since 2000. Bookseller Inventory # IP-9780080445588