This is the only comprehensive book on the subject of hair loss! Highly illustrated, with 250 new color photographs, this resource covers the basic science, diagnosis, and treatment of all problems related to hair. Conditions covered include childhood hair loss, excessive body hair, various types of adult balding, and loss due to medical conditions, trauma, and medications. The new Second Edition emphasizes various new diagnosis and treatment methods, including popular, recently approved remedies.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
1. Continued attention to detail and accuracy of information imparted.
Extensively referenced and all references checked for corroboration of
statements. Although multi-authored, there has been a great attempt to
provide fluidity between chapters: no jarring style changes between
2. Extremely comprehensive no other book on hair is comparable in this
3. Chapter authors are all senior, experienced clinicians and researchers
in hair disorders. Several new authors complement the original authors.
4. Thorough review of all new information on the genetic, molecular,and
hormonal control of hair growth in one totally new chapter and two
extensively revised and updated chapters. Clarifies the complicated
information in a clearly understandable fashion for those not experienced
in laboratory based research.
5. Provides further information and illustrations on how to use the
microscopic examination of the hair bulb and hair shaft to make a diagnosis
in the office of a given cause of hair loss.
6. Updates the treatment of tinea capitis, trichotillomania and head lice.
7. Extensively expands the disorders covered in the chapter devoted to
hair loss presenting in childhood including those described in succinctly
but thoroughly in tables on alopecia and follicular hyperkeratosis and
those that meet criteria as "ectodermal dysplasias". The latter are
presented in the most extensive table presented anywhere and include
cross-referencing with McKusick's nomenclature for genetic disorders.
8. Presents new information on loose anagen syndrome and clues to its
diagnosis and new information on chemotherapy related hair loss.
9. Discusses in great detail all the current molecular, hormonal and
clinical information on male and female pattern hair loss, how to
differentiate the latter from other hair loss disorders and the various
treatments, including surgery, for these conditions.
10. Presents a new classification system for Cicatricial Alopecia and
macrophotographs of both horizontal and vertical sections of representative
scalp biopsies that will facilitate diagnosis
11. Provides a completely updated listing of all causes of hypertrichosis,
local and diffuse, and current treatment modalities including laser hair
12. Provides an updated review of the clinical evaluation and treatment of
hirsutism, including that caused by PCOS, by two experienced
gynecologists-reproductive endocrine specialists.
13. Updates the cosmetic products used for all types of hair, including
those of African Americans, and treatments specific for reactions to
various products or scalp conditions.
Elise A. Olsen, MD Professor of Medicine Division of Dermatology Duke University Medical Center Durham, NC Dr. Olsen is director of the hair clinic at Duke and is considered an international authority on the subject
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description McGraw-Hill Professional, 2003. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 2. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0071364943
Book Description McGraw-Hill Professional, 2003. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0071364943