This photocopiable pack accompanies the New Collins School Dictionary. It delivers the basic literacy skills that students need to use a dictionary successfully.
CATERS FOR THE AVERAGE STUDENT
Covers basic skills in a clear, non-patronising way
ALL YOU NEED TO DELIVER DICTIONARY SKILLS
Makes learning dictionary skills enjoyable and easy
MAXIMISES THE CLASSROOM POTENTIAL OF DICTIONARIES
Turns an essential classroom resource into an active learning experience
THE NEWEST RESOURCE AVAILABLE
The most up-to-date dictionary classroom resource
WRITTEN SPECIFICALLY FOR THE NATIONAL CURRICULUM
Covers the following requirements:
• Standard English vocabulary
• Formal and informal vocabulary
• Choosing the best word
• Double meanings
• Word histories
• Working with factual and informative texts
• Figures of speech and sound patterning
• Use of dictionaries in planning, drafting, redrafting and proof-reading
• Parts of words
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
‘To continue developing their vocabulary, students should be able to use a dictionary and a thesaurus with speed and skill.’ Framework for Teaching EnglishFrom the Back Cover:
Students have to learn how to use a dictionary confidently and appropriately in order to develop their literacy skills across the curriculum and achieve exam success. 'Developing Dictionary Skills' provides an extensive variety of strategies to teach dictionary skills in the 11 – 16 age range, from understanding how a dictionary is organised to deciding how to choose the best word to fit the context. The ready-to-use, enjoyably activities teach students how to use a dictionary to develop and reinforce their literacy skills.
'Developing Dictionary Skills' photocopiable pack:
• Covers essential skills in a clear, non-patronising way
• Contains all you need to deliver dictionary skills with confidence
• Turns your dictionaries into an active literary resource
• Is accessible to all students
• Delivers National Curriculum requirements, including using information effectively drafting and redrafting, spelling, thinking about the meaning of words, grammar, pronunciation, word histories and much more.
For maximum effect this pack should be used with the 'New Collins School Dictionary' , although it can be used alongside any reputable school dictionary.
Matthew Berry is an English teacher and the author of successful classroom resources.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins Educational, 1999. Book Condition: Very Good. N/A. Ships from the UK. Former Library book. Great condition for a used book! Minimal wear. Bookseller Inventory # GRP74117772