“Why should educators be concerned about creative thought and artistic expression at a time when tough talk about academic standards, teacher accountability, and international ranking on tests dominates the educational scene?”
Creative Thinking and Arts Based Learning, Fifth Edition, argues that the ability to think in innovative and productive ways is a survival skill in a world where we are inundated daily with information. The authors’ vision for this book is that it will equip practitioners in the fields of early childhood and elementary education to influence schools and communities to regard the creative processes and artistic products of children’s minds with a new appreciation and respect.
In order to achieve this goal, the authors have grounded their content with the very latest theory and research on creative thought and play. They have provided case studies in every chapter where real teachers describe how they have integrated play and the arts into their curriculum. They have included opportunities for self-reflection in their Teachers Reflection feature and their Your Reflections feature. They have offered a collection of self-expressive activities and suggestions for teachers to use that are grounded in child-centered practice. Yet, while encouraging the incorporation of play and the arts, they have also acknowledged the importance of meeting the benchmark standards at the local, state, and national levels through the Meeting the Standards feature in every chapter and the Chapter by Chapter Cross Referenced Appendix of National Standards.
New To This Edition:
NEW! Provides research, tips, and specific suggestions for diverse learners--In the section on Curriculum Accommodations for Diverse Learners (Chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8).
NEW! Shows how to integrate play and each of the art forms across the curriculum in the easy to read charts throughout the book–Charts are done by content area.
NEW! Connects the text to MyEducationLab–Features video clips and artifacts that illustrate the key points.
NEW! Includes a Chapter-by-Chapter Cross-Referenced Appendix of National Standards–Shows how and where the content of each chapter meets national standards in the arts, the content areas, and in early childhood teacher education.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Mary Renck Jalongo, Ph.D.
Mary Renck Jalongo is a teacher, writer and editor. As a classroom teacher, she taught preschool, first grade and second grade, worked with children and families of migrant farm workers, and taught in the laboratory preschool at the University of Toledo. Currently she is a professor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania where she earned the university-wide outstanding professor award and coordinates both the Doctoral Program in Curriculum and Instruction and an initial teacher certification program at the graduate level.
As a writer, Dr. Jalongo has co-authored and edited more than 25 books, many of them textbooks in the field of early childhood education. These books include Early Childhood Language Arts (4th ed. Allyn & Bacon) and Creative Thinking and Arts-Based Learning (4th ed. Merrill/Prentice Hall), Exploring Your Role: An Introduction to Early Childhood Education (3rd ed., Merrill/Prentice Hall) and Major Trends and Issues in Early Childhood Education: Challenges, Controversies, and Insights (2nd ed. Teachers College Press). She is also the author for various articles on early childhood education in the World Book Encyclopedia and has written two award-winning Association for Childhood Education International Position Papers.
Her most recent publications include two National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) books, Learning to Listen, Listening to Learn and Young Children and Picture Books as well as a Teachers College Press book, Planning for Learning: Collaborative Approaches to Lesson Design and Review and an edited book for ACEI, The World’s Children and Their Companion Animals: Developmental and Educational Significance of the Child/Pet Bond. Mary has earned seven national awards for excellence in scholarly writing.
Mary is editor-in-chief of the Springer international publication, Early Childhood Education Journal and co-edits their new book series, Educating the Young Child: Advances in Theory and Research, Implications for Practice.From the Back Cover:
The fifth edition of this widely accepted, versatile book shows future and current early childhood educators how to integrate children's creativity, play, and the arts into their curriculum in a way that fosters learning and growth and meets accountability measures.
· NEW Curriculum Accommodations for Diverse Learners (Chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8)–Sections provide specific research-based suggestions for working with diverse learners.
· NEW Play and Arts Integration Charts–Provide suggestions for integrating play and each of the art forms across the curriculum by content area.
· NEW MyEducationLab Videos and Artifacts Integrated in Book– Accompanied by assignable questions, online video clips and classroom artifacts from this powerful resource illustrate key points in the text. Go to www.myeducationlab.com.
· NEW National Standards Correlations–This appendix reference tool is cross-referenced by chapter, showing how and where the content meets national standards in the arts, the content areas, and in early childhood teacher education.
· Classroom Scenarios–Separated by grade level, these brief vignettes open each chapter, offering students a view into real classroom situations.
· Frequently Asked Questions and Research-Based Answers–Each chapter contains 3 to 5 FAQs with answers, allowing students to use these responses to build a repertoire of authoritative responses to questions that noneducators and other educators often ask.
· Teacher Reflections and Scenarios on Chapter Content–These authentic examples and candid remarks, followed by questions to stimulate thinking, give readers a sense of real teaching issues and provide a common base for discussion.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Pearson. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0136039782 Brand new book. Ship from multiple locations. 3-5 business days Express Delivery to USA/UK/Europe/Asia/Worldwide. Tracking number will be provided. Satisfaction guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # SKU004377
Book Description Pearson, 2009. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0136039782
Book Description Pearson, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 5. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0136039782
Book Description Pearson, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110136039782
Book Description Pearson, 2009. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0136039782
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97801360397851.0