Title: Victorian Scandals: Representations of ...
Publisher: Ohio Univ Pr
Publication Date: 1992
Book Condition: New
Ohio Univ Pr 1992 Hard Cover New In Stock llustrated edition. 349 pages. 8.75x5.75x1.25 inches. Spots on the upper edge. Bookseller Inventory # 80889
Synopsis: In the popular mind, the word ?Victorian? still evokes associations of repression, hypocrisy, and prudery. We persist in thinking that the Victorians were perpetually shocked by everything from minor breaches of domestic decorum to ministry-toppling causes célèbres. In examining various Victorian scandals, some familiar, some more obscure, these essays provide lively discussion and diverse points of view on the context, nature, and function of ?scandal? in Victorian society, particularly in terms of gender and class.
Topics covered include:
- women as both victims and beneficiaries of the Victorian legal establishment, demonstrated through divorce petitions, cases of wrongful confinement, and a highly publicized breach of promise suit
- the actress in contemporary pornography
- the effects on male hegemony of programs of higher education for women
- ambivalent reactions to biographies of Thomas Carlyle and George Eliot and to Julia Margaret Cameron?s ?ennobled? photographic portraits
- the surprising toleration of gambling and infanticide.
The afterword examines the diverse responses to scandalous behavior from the perspectives of recent critical theory.
Taken as a whole, Victorian Scandals illustrates the pervasive role of the contemporary press in rendering private conduct a subject of public fascination and suggests the need to expand the definitions, functions, and interpretations of ?scandal? in Victorian society.
This bookseller accepts the following methods of payment:
AbeBooks Bookseller Since: 15 September 2010
We guarantee the condition of every book as it's described on the Abebooks web sites. If you're dissatisfied with your purchase (Incorrect Book/Not as Described/Damaged) or if the order hasn't arrived, you're eligible for a refund within 30 days of the estimated delivery date. If you've changed your mind about a book that you've ordered, please use the Ask bookseller a question link to contact us and we'll respond within 2 business days.
Store Description: Books on American and British English Literature, background of Literature