The Art of Seamanship
Neuware - Wind, waves, weather, and water demand the practiced art of seamanship 544 pp. Englisch. Bookseller Inventory # 9780071493420
About this title:
Wind, waves, weather, and water demand the practiced art of seamanship
"Planning and reacting to the unanticipated are the flip sides of seamanship. This blending of pre-voyage preparedness with effective on-the-water response is learned rather than inherent--together they define the art of seamanship." -- Author RALPH NARANJO
Each time a sailboat casts off its docklines the sailor enters a marine realm that demands knowledge, preparedness, vigilance, and coolheadedness--these qualities are the foundation of good seamanship. Both an art as well as a science, seamanship is also the mastery of numerous practical details, from the best choice of line for a jib sheet to an accurate assessment of the passage of a deep low-pressure system.
Around-the-world sailor Ralph Naranjo--technical expert, ocean racer, former Vanderstar Chair at the U.S. Naval Academy--delivers a priceless reference for anything that comes up while on the water, sharing all the knowledge today's sailors need to "hand, reef, and steer"--an enduring reference to the collective skills of the bluewater sailor. Naranjo's vast knowledge is supported by real-life examples of sailing mishaps, sample itineraries, vibrant photos, as well as first-hand accounts and sidebarsfrom top sailors and marine experts, including Shelia McCurdy, Chuck Hawley, Lee Chesneau, and Paul Miller, N.A.Seamanship is a dynamic art, demanding full attention from the sailor amidst a constant flow of information and knowledge.
The Art of Seamanship will improve your problem-solving skills, whether daysailing around the harbor or voyaging around the world.
- The attributes of a good skipper and crew?includingphysical and mental agility, effective communication, andknowledge-based decision making
- Fine-tuning your voyaging with the seaworthiness of your boat and the capability of your crew in mind
- Using weather information and routing resources to lower risks and raise rewards
- Developing advanced boat-handling skills?includingheaving-to, towing a drogue, reefing, setting storm sails,and kedging
- Lines, line handling, and rigging--making sure the right strings are attached, including an in-depth look at modern rope construction
- Anchoring--the art of staying put--with a realistic lookat tackle from lunch hooks to storm anchors
- Sails, modern sail material, sail trim, sail handling, and hardware, from hanked-on headsails to the latest top-down furlers
- Navigating in the satellite age, including paper and digital chartplotting, how to best use the new equipment, plus understanding the role of celestial navigation as a fail-safe
- Sailboat design and dynamics, including the role of vessel structure and stability and a look at what your current boat has to offer and what to look for in a new boat
- Sharing crowded waters and understanding the reasonsbehind the "rules of the road"
- How to be ready for any emergency, including fire, crewoverboard, a flooding bilge, or the need to abandon ship
- Establishing reliable communication, including VHF, AIS, SSB, satellite phones, and beacon signaling (EPIRBS, PLBS)
Your ultimate manual for self-sufficiency on the waterand for the skills to face any challenge
Instead of covering boilerplate topics like equipment, nautical jargon, trailering, flag etiquette, and more, The Art of Seamanship allows you to pushyour nautical envelopes?with the knowledge that you will be able to respond to anything that comes your way. You will delve into topics such as knowing what a sailboat can or can?t handle; assessing your limits and those of your crew and how to grow as a skipper; blendingmodern weather forecasting procedures and weather routing with passage plans; integrating electronics with navigation; line handling when docking in a blow; staying put in hurricane; and more.
- Sea-tested wisdom going well beyond other seamanship texts
- Improves your skills
- Great for reading and self-study, and also to carry aboard as theultimate insurance against the unforeseen
- Real-life scenarios shows you how to respond to extremechallenges at sea
Title: The Art of Seamanship
Publisher: Mcgraw-Hill Education Ltd Sep 2014
Publication Date: 2014
Book Condition: Neu
Payment Methods Accepted by Seller
Check PayPal Invoice Bank/Wire Transfer
Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
AbeBooks Seller Since 11 January 2012
Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen (abebooks.de)
der Firma Agrios Buch- und Medienversand UG e.K. ,Geschäftsführer Ludwig Meier, De-Gasperi-Str. 8, 51469 Bergisch Gladbach nachstehend als Verkäufer bezeichnet.
§ 1 Allgemeines, Begriffsbestimmungen
(1) Der Verkäufer bietet unter dem Nutzernamen Agrios Buch unter der Plattform abebooks.de insbesondere Bücher an. Die folgenden Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB) gelten für die Geschäftsbeziehung zwischen dem Verkäufer und dem Kunden in ihrer zum Ze...[More Information]
Der Versand ins Ausland findet IMMER mit DHL statt. Auch nach Österreich verschicken wir nur mit DHL! Daher Standardversand == Luftpost!