This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Extensively revised and expanded in this fourth edition, Exploring Philosophy: An Introductory Anthology is a uniquely accessible and engaging introduction to philosophy. Steven M. Cahn brings together exceptionally clear recent essays by noted philosophers and supplements them with influential historical sources. Most importantly, the articles have been carefully edited to make them understandable to every reader. The topics are drawn from across the major fields of philosophy and include knowledge and skepticism, mind and body, freedom and determinism, the existence of God, identity and immortality, ethical reasoning, abortion, euthanasia, world hunger, democracy, social justice, art, and life and death. The readings are enhanced by concise introductions, study questions, explanatory notes, and suggestions for further reading.
NEW TO THE FOURTH EDITION:
* More than fifty new readings greatly expand the book's coverage and its flexibility for course use
* More than half of the new readings are "Historical Sources," which introduce students to philosophical classics and help them understand the contemporary selections
* Four new sections— Identity and Immortality, Social Justice, Art, and Life and Death—extend the anthology's range into areas that today's students find especially compelling
* Study Questions after each reading help students test their comprehension and encourage class discussion
OFFERED FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH THIS EDITION:
* An Instructor's Manual features PowerPoint-based lecture outlines, reading summaries, a glossary, and a Test Bank of objective and essay questions
* A Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/cahn contains all the material from the Instructor's Manual along with student resources including self-test questions, suggested readings, and helpful links
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"Exploring Philosophy is a wonderful achievement and a significant contribution to philosophical pedagogy. Cahn's choice of articles is superb and clearly reflects the choice of someone with years of experience engaging students in philosophy. The book contains a balanced mix of authors, an even-handed treatment of the issues, rigorous yet accessible articles that are appropriately introduced by the editor, and is far more affordable than most college texts."--Laurence Carlin, University of Wisconsin OshkoshAbout the Author:
Steven M. Cahn is Professor of Philosophy at The City University of New York Graduate Center.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110199797277
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. Brand New!. Seller Inventory # VIB0199797277
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0199797277 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW99.0097660
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0199797277
Book Description Condition: New. New. Seller Inventory # M-0199797277
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. 4. Seller Inventory # DADAX0199797277
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. 4. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0199797277n