The author wrote this new edition of the most popular elementary social studies methods text on the market with the following three goals in mind: to present the most powerful social studies content and pedagogy for children in elementary school, to offer the material in simple and accessible ways, and to write in a first person active voice. The purpose of this book is to introduce new teachers to the world of social studies teaching and learning in elementary and middle schools. Geography, history, government and the other social sciences are delivered into the palm of the new teacher’s hand along with a suite of tools for bringing social studies to life in the classroom.
The book is organized into three sections—the first orients the reader to the mission of social studies education to the increasingly diverse children we teach, the second concentrates on the curriculum, and the third deals with instruction, how we plan and teach this curriculum. Three central themes continue to pervade the book—democratic citizenship, diversity, and the social sciences—to ultimately encourage teachers to excite their students about closing the gap between social realities and democratic ideals. An exceptionally strong chapter on multicultural issues (Chapter 2) helps future teachers truly understand the changing demographics of the American classroom.
Abridged NCSS standards and their classroom applications are found at www.myeducationlab.com.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Title: Social Studies in Elementary Education <>Binding: Paperback <>Author: WalterC.Parker <>Publisher: PearsonFrom the Back Cover:
A wealth of content, strategies, tools, and resources for teaching K-8 social studies, this text is a must-have resource for your classroom. Written by one of the foremost leaders in Social Studies education, Walter C. Parker, this fourteenth edition of Social Studies in Elementary Education presents elements of a strong social studies curriculum, effective teaching methods, and an array of field-tested examples, exercises, activities, and lesson plans. Written with clarity, a friendly tone, and the solid content of previous editions, this new edition includes
· Greater emphasis on teaching English Learners and differentiating instruction for all learners.
· Coverage of current trends including the implications of the global achievement gap and it connection to the 21st Century Skills movement.
· Connections to children’s literature, now with icons for quick reference.
Prepare with the Power of Classroom Practice
Register for MyEducationLab today at
MyEducationLab is an online learning tool that provided resources to help you develop the knowledge and skills you’ll need to be a successful teacher. All of the activities and exercises in MyEducationLab are built around essential learning outcomes for teachers. The site provides you with the opportunities both to study your course content and to practice the teaching skills you need to excel as a teacher. With MyEducationLab, you will be able to do the following:
· Use Lesson Planning Software to develop high-quality lesson plans. The software also makes it easy to integrate your state’s content standards into all of your lesson plans.
· Practice applying what you’re learning in interactive exercises and simulations including the Building Teaching Skills exercises.
· Respond to real classroom situations and education issues as you analyze classroom video, case studies, and authentic student and teacher artifacts.
· Use the National Council for Social Studies Standards Sampler to identify, plan and apply the revised curriculum standards of the National council for the Social Studies to daily classroom instruction.
· Take Practice Tests for each chapter of your text and receive an individualized study plan that identifies your strength and weaknesses and provides you with the resources you need to deeply understand the concepts covered in the class.
· Locate your teacher certification test requirements, read descriptions of what the tests cover, and answer sample questions.
To start using MyEducationLab, activate the access code packaged with your book. If your instructor did not make MyEducationLab a required part of your course, or if you are purchasing a used book without an access code, go to www.myeducationlab.com to purchase access to this invaluable resource!
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Pearson Education Canada, Newmarket, ON, Canada, 2011. Soft cover. Book Condition: New. book Condition: Brand New. Pearson New International Edition. Softcover. This is a Brand New High-Quality Textbook. Different ISBN and cover image with US edition. Fast shipping and ship within 48 hours by UPS/DHL global express service to any US destination within 3-5 business days. We do not ship to Po Box, APO and FPO address. Some book may show some sales disclaimer word such as "Not for Sale or Restricted in US" on the cover page. Some international textbooks may come with different exercises or cases at the end of chapters compare to US edition. Bookseller Inventory # 002816
Book Description Pearson, 2011. Softcover. Book Condition: New. ***International Edition***Soft cover/Paperback*** Textbook printed in English. ***Brand New***. Most international edition has different ISBN and Cover design. Some book may show sales disclaimer such as "Not for Sale or Restricted in US" on the cover page but it is absolutely legal to use. All textbook arrives within 5-7business days. Please provides valid phone number with your order for easy delivery. Bookseller Inventory # 9780137034253
Book Description Pearson, 2011. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110137034253
Book Description Pearson, 2011. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0137034253
Book Description Pearson, 2011. Book Condition: New. Brand new! Please provide a physical shipping address. Bookseller Inventory # 9780137034253
Book Description Soft cover. Book Condition: New. 14. Opt EXPEDITED shipping for 2 to 4 day delivery - Brand NEW - International Edition - 14ed - SAME Contents as in US edition - SHRINKwrapped BOXpacked - There is no CD or Access Code, unless specified above - Ships from various locations. Bookseller Inventory # G56