For courses in Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, Learning and Memory, Philosophy of Mind, and Philosophy of Psychology.
The first book that fully integrates information about the brain and neural processing into the standard curriculum in cognitive psychology.
Based on a need for a text that could accurately, productively, and seamlessly integrate information on both the brain and neural processing, Edward E. Smith (Columbia University) and Stephen M. Kosslyn (Harvard University) created Cognitive Psychology: Mind and Brain 1.e. Without question, the study of cognition has progressed enormously over the past decade. Most importantly, much of the recent progress in cognitive studies has come from the advent of cognitive neuroscience, which uses neuroscientific methods and data to address psychological issues. However, throughout years of academic teaching, the authors came to realize that no currently available book was able to summarize and make accessible the major findings, theories, and research the field had produced. Now, in this text's first edition, these issues have been addressed. Using findings in neuroscience to illuminate and motivate key distinctions in cognitive psychology, the authors have written a cognitive psychology book that is informed by neuroscience - the first of its kind and one poised to set a new standard in undergraduate cognitive studies.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The 3rd edition of Psychology by Martin, Carlson and Buskist continues to combine comprehensiveness with a fresh, lively and accessible writing style. The text presents both classic and contemporary research from Europe and around the world to give students a rounded, global picture of what psychologists are discovering. Offering a rigourous and critical coverage, this successful text introduces students to the central concepts, ideas, theories and findings in every major branch of psychology.
With an emphasis on critical thinking throughout, Psychology 3/e shows how psychology can be used in to address everyday problems and issues, such as aggression in the workplace, rehabilitation after brain injury and the effect of sleep loss on driving. Richly supported throughout by examples and photos drawn from Europe and the wider-world, this highly illustrated text will stimulate interest and actively engage students.
· NEW! An ‘international perspective’ on topical issues and research to alert students to the cross-cultural dimensions of the field
· NEW! All brand new ‘cutting edge’ sections present a study or a series of studies reporting an important, novel or exciting finding in psychology in the past two years
· NEW! ‘Levels of Analysis’ explores different ways of looking at a topic within or between a branch of psychology to encourage an appreciation of the inter-relations between the different topic areas.
· Thoroughly updated with over 200 new references
· Over 40 new photos and illustrations added to help convey idea and applications of psychology in the real world
· Two chapters on social psychology written by experts in the field, Professor Mike Hogg, and Professor Dominic Abrams.
· An appendix includes basic statistical information that an introductory psychology student might need
· Also includes a range of classic features such as ‘Controversies in psychological science’, ‘Psychology in Action, ‘Questions to think about’ and ‘extensive further reading’ suggestions to engage students and enhance understanding
The book also comes with an online interactive study guide featuring interactive experiments, exercises and animations, research updates, and additional question material all designed to enhance the learning experience.
About the authors
Dr G. Neil Martin is Principal Lecturer in Psychology at Middlesex University, UK
Dr Neil R. Carlsonis Professor of Psychology at the Universityof Massachusetts, USA
Dr William Buskistis Professor of Psychology at Auburn University, USA
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Prentice Hall PTR. Book Condition: Brand New. Softcover, International Edition. This is an International Edition. Bookseller Inventory # 7794494A