This text provides a presentation of theory, applications and computations of operations research. The text uses case studies and exercises to explain the basics of operations research techniques. Supplements to the main text include: instructor's manual (ISBN:0-02-418840-9); and solutions manual (ISBN:0-02-418977-4).
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Operations Research: An Introduction
Hamdy A. Taha
This eighth edition streamlines the presentation of text material, providing a balanced coverage of the theory, applications, and computations of operations research. Complex mathematical concepts are explained by means of carefully designed examples. Practical applications are presented using multitudes of examples, targeted problems, fully developed case analyses, and case studies, all borrowed from situations published in the literature. Computations are supported throughout the text both at the commercial level (using AMPL®, Solver, and Excel®) and at the tutorial level (using the popular and user-friendly TORA™).
New Text Material:
· Chapter 2 is dedicated entirely to formulating linear programming models, with new applications in urban renewal, currency arbitrage, investments, production planning, and blending. New end-of-section problems deal with topics ranging from water quality management and traffic control to warfare.
· Chapter 3 presents the general LP sensitivity analysis, including dual prices and reduced costs, as a direct extension of the simplex tableau computations.
· Chapter 4 is now dedicated to LP post-optimal analysis based on duality.
· A combined nearest neighbor-reversal heuristic (with generic Excel implementation) is presented for the traveling salesperson problem in Chapter 9.
· Markov chains treatment has been expanded into a new Chapter 17.
· The totally new Chapter 24 on the CD presents 15 fully developed real-life applications with summaries given in pertinent chapters. The analysis, which often cuts across more than one OR technique (e.g., heuristics and LP, or ILP and queuing), deals with the modeling, data collection, and computational aspects of solving the problem (CD-ROM only).
· The new Appendix E on the CD includes approximately 50 mini cases of real-life situations.
· More than 1000 end-of-section problem are included in the book.
· Each chapter starts with a guide that facilitates the understanding of the material and the effective use of the accompanying software.
· All computer-related material has been deliberately compartmentalized in subsections to minimize disruptions in the main presentation of the book.
New Software Implementations:
· AMPL, the widely-used commercial modeling language, is integrated throughout the book with examples from linear/nonlinear/integer programming and networks. The examples also demonstrate AMPL’s superior interactive capabilities for model experimentation.
· To facilitate learning the language, AMPL’s full syntax is given in Appendix A and cross-referenced in the book examples.
· Excel spreadsheet implementations include dynamic programming, traveling salesperson, inventory, AHP, Bayes’ probabilities, “electronic” statistical tables, queuing, simulation, Markov chains, and nonlinear programming. Interactive user input in some spreadsheets is designed to promote better understanding of the underlying techniques.
· The use of Excel Solver has been expanded, particularly in the areas of linear, network, integer, and nonlinear programming.
· TORA continues to play the key role of tutorial software.
On the CD-ROM
· AMPL language (student version) with numerous fully developed models.
· TORA, the updated and easy-to-use tutorial optimization system.
· Numerous fully-developed AMPL models.
· General ready-to-use Excel spreadsheet templates.
· Numerous fully-developed Excel Solver models.
· Four supplemental chapters and two appendixes.
Pearson Prentice Hall
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
ISBN: 0-13-188923-0About the Author:
Hamdy A. Taha is a University Professor of Industrial Engineering with the University of Arkansas, where he teaches and conducts research in operations research and simulation. He is the author of three other books on integer programming and simulation, and his works have been translated into Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Turkish, and Indonesian. He is also the author of several book chapters. His articles have appeared in Management Science, Operations Research, and Interfaces Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, Naval Research Logistics John Wiley & Sons, the European Journal of Operations Research International Federation of Operations Research Societies and the AIIE Transactions.
Professor Taha was named a Senior Fulbright Scholar to Carlos III University, Madrid, Spain. He received an Alumni Award for excellence in research and The Nadine Baum Faculty Teaching Award, both from the University of Arkansas, and numerous other research and teaching awards from the College of Engineering, University of Arkansas. He is fluent in three languages and has held positions in Mexico and the Middle East.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Paperback. Book Condition: Good. The book has been read but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact and the cover is intact. Some minor wear to the spine. Bookseller Inventory # GOR004552790
Book Description Pearson Education (US) 30/10/1994, 1994. Book Condition: used-good. Will be shipped promptly from UK warehouse. Book is in good condition with no missing pages, no damage or soiling and tight spine. There may be some dog-eared pages showing previous use but overall a great book. Bookseller Inventory # 9053-9780131876590
Book Description Pearson Education (US) 30/10/1994, 1994. Book Condition: used-good. - This book is in very good condition and will be shipped within 24 hours of ordering. The cover may have some limited signs of wear but the pages are clean, intact and the spine remains undamaged. This book has clearly been well maintained and looked after thus far. Money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. See all our books here, order more than 1 book and get discounted shipping. . Bookseller Inventory # 7719-9780131876590
Book Description Pearson Education (US), 1994. Book Condition: Fair. This is an ex-library book and may have the usual library/used-book markings inside.This book has soft covers. With usual stamps and markings, In fair condition, suitable as a study copy. Bookseller Inventory # 5638176