The fungi are one of the great groups of living organisms, comparable in numbers of species, diversity and ecological significance with animals, plants, protists and bacteria. This textbook deals with all fundamental and applied aspects of mycology, illustrated by reference to well studied species from major fungal groups. Since the publication of the first edition of The Fungi, there have been many important advances in the field of mycology. This second up-to-date edition has been revised and substantially expanded, and incorporates the application of methods of molecular biology, especially DNA technology to mycology.
* Question and answer section at the end of each chapter
* Modern classification based on Molecular phylogeny
* Detail of the recent increased understanding of the organelles and processes involved in hyphal growth
* New molecular understanding of mating type genes
* The latest on molecular recognition in the infection process
* The use of DNA technology in engineering plant resistance to fungal diseases
* New section on medical mycology
* Fungal mycology in animals
* The latest on the use of genetically manipulated fungi to produce products earlier obtained from mammals
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Praise for the First Edition
"....an enjoyable way to survey the subject of modern mycology. We are fortunate to have this excellent textbook." (Mycologia)
"The text is beautifully written and an understanding and enthusiasm for this important group of organisms comes through on every page." (Trends in Microbiology)
"... a most readable and recommendable source of information for beginners, advanced students and professionals in mycology." (Zeit für Pflanzenkrankheiten und Pflanzenschutz)
"The coverage is extensive and informative. I am very pleased to recommend this book to those who want to know and understand fungi." (Biodiversity and Conservation)From the Back Cover:
The Fungi provides a comprehensive microbiological perspective on the importance of fungi, one of the most diverse groups of living organisms. Their roles in the natural world and in practical applications from the preparation of foods and beverages to drug production, and their relationship with man, animals and plants are clearly described. The recent contributions of molecular biology to mycology and the development of molecular methods for the study of fungal ecology, pathology and population genetics are also covered.
This invaluable work has been completely revised and updated. With new material relating to molecular biology, this new and highly successful title continues to be essential reading for students and researchers.
New to the second edition
* Modern classification
* Medical and veterinary mycology section
* Organelles and processes involved in hyphal growth
* Molecular methods in ecology and pathology
* Production of new drugs of fungal origin
* Question and answer sections
* Colour plate section
Praise for the first edition:
"An enjoyable way to survey the subject of modern mycology. We are fortunate to have this excellent textbook."
"The text is beautifully written and an understanding and enthusiasm for this important group of organisms comes through on every page."
--TRENDS IN MICROBIOLOGY
"This will improve undergraduate learning and promote a more integrated understanding of fungal biology. I will certainly use it in my teaching and am sure many others will do likewise."
"The coverage is extensive and informative. I am very pleased to recommend this book to those who want to know and understand fungi."
--BIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 127384456