This authoritative reference volume emphasizes the importance and interrelationships of geological processes to the health and diseases of humans and animals. Its accessible format fosters better communication between the health and geoscience communities by elucidating the geologic origins and flow of toxic elements in the environment that lead to human exposure through the consumption of food and water.
For example, problems of excess intake from drinking water have been encountered for several inorganic compounds, including fluoride in Africa and India; arsenic in certain areas of Argentina, Chile, and Taiwan; selenium in seleniferous areas in the U.S., Venezuela, and China; and nitrate in agricultural areas with heavy use of fertilizers. Environmental influences on vector borne diseases and stormflow water quality influences are also featured. Numerous examples of the environmental influences on human health from across the globe are also presented and discussed in this volume.
* Covers recent advances and future research topics at the intersection of environmental science and public health
* Developed by 60 experts from 20 countries and edited by professionals from the International Working Group on Medical Geology
* Includes 200+ color photographs and illustrations
* Organizes information in a highly structured format for easy reference
* Written for a broad audience, ranging from students, researchers, and medical professionals to policymakers and the general public
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Medical Geology emphasizes the application of earth science information to improving public health.From the Back Cover:
Medical geology is an emerging discipline, being fostered by a collaboration of public health professionals and earth scientists who are working to formulate broader environmental insights into the origin, development, and prevention of disease. The International Working Group on Medical Geology has developed this authoritative and comprehensive work to review the importance and interrelationships of geological processes to the health and diseases of humans and animals.
Essentials of Medical Geology can work as both a reference and course book. With over 30 authoritative chapters, it conveys the essential concepts and practical tools required to tackle environmental and public health problems. It is organized into four main sections, allowing users to read from beginning to end or quickly turn to the section that they need.
The first part of the book covers the fundamentals of environmental biology, reviews the natural and anthropogenic sources of elements that impact health, and illustrates key biogeochemical transformations. The next section details the geological processes influencing human exposure to specific elements, such as radon, arsenic, fluorine, selenium, an iodine. The third section offers an overview of the concepts and techniques of pathology, toxicology, and epidemiology that underpin investigations into the human health effects of exposure to naturally occurring elements. The final section provides a toolbox of analytical approaches to environmental research and medical geology investigations.
* Addresses key topics at the intersection of environmental science and human health
* Developed by 60 international experts from 20 countries and edited by professionals form the International Working Group on Medical Geology
* Written in non-technical language for a broad spectrum of readers, ranging from students and professional researchers to policymakers and the general public
* Includes color illustration throughout, references for further investigation, and other aids to the reader
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-FEB-17964
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHUB17964
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Bookseller Inventory # ABEUSA-17964
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0126363412
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110126363412