Embedded Systems Networking: Applications, Case Studies and Technologies
This book takes a practical approach to describing the various technologies that come together to create advanced network and communications processing. These technology areas include hardware processing, protocols, network stacks, operating systems, virtualization, and application level processing. In addition, material is included on networking software services, architecture and partitioning, porting and integrating, security, and software development for networking.
It includes case studies on:
- Techniques for mapping an application to a network processor
- Networking for consumer applications
- Industrial wireless LAN (WLAN) networking
- Enterprise networking applications
- MIMO parallelization and implementation on heterogeneous GPGPU architectures
- Using hardware/ software co-design methods for implementing efficient small cell solutions
- Software development techniques for embedded networking applications
- Mobile, cloud computing and data security
- Harnessing the power of multicore architecture
- Developing a Network Interface Controller (NIC)
- Low power networking strategies
With this book, you will learn:
- The different uses of computer networks
- How to program and configure network hardware, including the use of hubs, switches and routers
- The varied uses of network software, including networking operating systems
- The structure and features of each layer of the ISO/OSI Reference Model, including physical, datalink, network and application protocols
- How to make use of the software functionality of each layer of the TCP/IP Reference Model compared with the ISO/OSI Reference Model
- How to implement major software components of computer networks including virtualization and offload technologies
- Valuable information on computer network security issues
- How to describe network media and data transmissions
- How to explain network design and describe the various network topologies
- The software features of NetWare and Linux servers
- Software requirements for implementing wide area networks.
- Provides full coverage of networking topics, strategies and implementation for embedded components and systems, including the various topologies, algorithms and protocols necessary to embedded network development
- Numerous code examples illustrate and reinforce the concepts discussed
- Multiple case studies demonstrate techniques across a number of application areas.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Robert Oshana has over 30 years of experience in the embedded software industry, primarily focused on embedded and real-time systems for the defense industry and semiconductor industries. He has BSEE, MSEE, MSCS, and MBA degrees and is a Senior Member of IEEE. Rob is an international speaker and has over 100 presentations and publications in various technology fields and has written several books on embedded software technology. Rob is an adjunct professor at Southern Methodist University and is a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff and Director of Global Software R&D for Networking and Multimedia at Freescale Semiconductor.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.