Takes place between the mid-1940s and the mid-1970s, in Brussels, Salisbury, the Congo, the industrial wastes of Lorraine - but the dominant setting is in the titular city - a nightmarish brick grid populated by freaks. Meades has also written "Filthy English" and "Peter Knows What Dick Likes".
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
• 'An extraordinary work, peopled by the repellent, dwelling on the vile and yet done with so deft and brilliant a touch: a picnic in the heart of darkness. The writing is clever and complex, multi-layered and funny … What a dark pleasure it is to come across writing that is both luminous and bilious.'
Susan Jeffreys, New Statesman
• 'The English novel needs its senses to be violently deranged, and this piledriver of a book … might just provide a kick-start.'
Elizabeth Young, Independent on Sunday
• 'One admires the virtuosity, the creative nerve that enabled Meades to boldly go where few writers would dare.'
Andrew Clements, Financial Times
• ‘There is no doubt that Pompey is the product of a brilliant mind: one would not, however, wish to dine with its author."
Nick Hornby, TLS
• 'A brilliant blockbuster,"
Melvyn Bragg, Start the Week
• 'If Meades was a racehorse you'd be calling for a steward's enquiry. There's something in his feed which definitely gives him the lot.'
• 'Disgusting and brilliant … written with relentless energy and rhythm, phrase after phrase of this novel is 'highly crafted'.'
Paul Spike, Vogue
• 'With its mutilations, voyeurism, in-jokes, phantasmagoric idiolect and cruel humour, this is a harrowing and quite extraordinary book. It is lurid and ingenious … but so perverse you get to love it.' David Profumo, Daily TelegraphAbout the Author:
Jonathan Meades writes and presents topographical and architectural television films, among them the series The Victorian House, Abroad in Britain and Further Abroad. Since 1986 he has contributed a weekly column about restaurants to the Times. His book include This Is Their Life, An Illustrated Atlas of the World's Buildings, Filthy English, Peter Knows What Dick Likes and Pompey.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Vintage, 1994. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Good. Bookseller Inventory # 1041036
Book Description Vintage 06/01/1994, 1994. Book Condition: Good. This book is in good or better condition. It has no tears to the pages and no pages will be missing from the book. The spine of the book is still in great condition and the front cover is generally unmarked. It has signs of previous use but overall is in really nice, tight condition. Shipping is normally same day from our UK warehouse. We offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Bookseller Inventory # 9053-9780099308218
Book Description Vintage 06/01/1994, 1994. Book Condition: Very Good. This book is in very good condition and will be shipped within 24 hours of ordering. The cover may have some limited signs of wear but the pages are clean, intact and the spine remains undamaged. This book has clearly been well maintained and looked after thus far. Money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. See all our books here, order more than 1 book and get discounted shipping. . Bookseller Inventory # 7719-9780099308218
Book Description Vintage 06/01/1994, 1994. Book Condition: Good. Will be shipped promptly from UK warehouse. Book is in good condition with no missing pages, no damage or soiling and tight spine. There may be some dog-eared pages showing previous use but overall a great book. Bookseller Inventory # 9053-9780099308218
Book Description Vintage, 1994. Book Condition: Good. New Ed. N/A. Ships from the UK. Former Library book. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Bookseller Inventory # GRP88787924
Book Description Vintage, 1994. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Very Good. Dispatched, from the UK, within 48 hours of ordering. Though second-hand, the book is still in very good shape. Minimal signs of usage may include very minor creasing on the cover or on the spine. Bookseller Inventory # CHL1479842
Book Description Vintage. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: Good. 0099308215 shelf wear, scuffing and creasing to cover. Bookseller Inventory # DD0025805
Book Description Vintage. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: Good. 0099308215 shelf wear, scuffing and creasing to cover, Bookseller Inventory # FF0023499
Book Description Vintage, 1994. Book Condition: very good. Gently used. Expect delivery in 2-3 weeks. Bookseller Inventory # 9780099308218-3