Derived from the content of the respected McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, each title provides thousands of definitions of words and phrases encountered in a specific discipline. All include:
* Pronunciation guide for every term
* Acronyms, cross-references, and abbreviations
* Appendices with conversion tables; listings of scientific, technical, and mathematical notation; tables of relevant data; and more
* A convenient, quick-find format
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Excerpts of review by T.R. Faust, Burlington College
McGraw-Hill derives these inexpensive subject-specific dictionaries from its Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, covering 110,000 terms. Libraries could not go wrong purchasing this recognized standard reference--either the parent or its offspring. Choosing which to purchase will probably present the greater challenge. Students may be more likely to favor these more focused titles, whereas librarians may be more enthralled with the larger, more encompassing mother work. ...The offspring reproduce the definitions of terms exactly as they appear in the mother work, with pronunciation but without illustrations. The appropriate appendixes are retained in the smaller volumes, but biographical entries are dropped.
McGraw-Hill tends to include more appendixes [than competition], such as geological time scales and electronic symbols...libraries will be well served by the McGraw-Hill titles. Summing Up: Highly recommended. (Choice 2003-10-01)From the Back Cover:
THE LANGUAGE OF CHEMISTRY AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
Derived from the world-renowned McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, this vital reference offers a wealth of essential information in a portable, convenient, quick-find format. Whether you’re a professional, a student, a writer, or a general reader with an interest in science, there is no better or more authoritative way to stay up-to-speed with the current language of chemistry or gain an understanding of its key ideas and concepts.
Written in clear, simple language understandable to the general reader, yet in-depth enough for scientists, educators, and advanced students, The McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Chemistry, Second Edition:
* Has been extensively revised, with 9,000 entries that fully define the language of chemistry
* Includes synonyms, acronyms, and abbreviations
* Provides pronunciations for all terms
* Covers such topics as analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, polymer chemistry, and spectroscopy, as well as terms in related areas such as biotechnology and biochemistry
* Includes an appendix containing tables of useful data and information
* Is based on the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms – for more than a quarter-of-a-century THE standard international reference
Carefully reviewed for clarity, completeness, and accuracy, the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Chemistry, Second Edition, offers a standard of excellence unmatched by any similar publication.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Mcgraw-Hill (Tx), 1984. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110070454205
Book Description Mcgraw-Hill (Tx), 1984. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1St Edition. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0070454205