This book aims to fill a major gap in fashion writing - between cultural theory and the diverse strands of the industry itself. The contributors draw material from throughout the world, covering such issues as: the relationship between black and non-European cultures to Western fashion; haute couture and street fashion; the ecological concerns of fashion; and the workers within the industry.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
'Chic Thrills' extends fashion theory way beyond the interpretation of style. It shows how fashion relates to the economic realities and motivations of those who create what we will buy and wear.
The contributors address key issues in fashion theory and practice, including:
• FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE MEDIA REPRESENTATION OF FASHION
• ECOLOGICAL CONCERNS VERSUS THE LIVELIHOOD OF IMPOVERISHED COMMUNITIES
• THE EVOLUTION OF 'HAUTE COUTURE' IN RELATION TO STREET FASHION AND RETAIL
• THE POLITICS OF DRESS, SUCH AS THE 1050S 'NEW LOOK', WARTIME CLOTHING AND SPORTSWEAR TODAY
• THE RELATIONSHIP OF BLACK DESIGNERS AND NON-EUROPEAN CULTURES TO WESTERN FASHION
• INDUSTRIAL CONDITIONS, PRODUCTION CONSTRAINTS AND THE RELATIONSHIP OF GARMENT WORKERS TO THE CLOTHES THEY MAKE
• THE POSTMODERNISM DEBATE: PLURALISM VERSUS THE 'TYRANNY' OF FASHION
Illustrated with over 50 black and white photographs and complete with an essential resource section of further reading and videos, 'Chic Thrills' is essential reading for students and teachers of fashion and cultural studies as well as those involved in creating and retailing clothes – or simply buying and wearing them
Juliet Ash, Rosetta Brookes, Linda Cloeing, Naseem Kahn, Ellen Leopold, Kate Luck, Hilary O'Kelly, Angela Partington, Aileen Ribeiro, Katrina Rolley, Sheila Rowbotham, Judy Rumbold, Neil Spencer, Valerie Steele, Lou Taylor, Teal Triggs, Carol Tulloch, Elizabeth Wilson, Lee Wright.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Pandora Press, 2004. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0044408242
Book Description Pandora Press, 2004. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0044408242
Book Description Pandora Press, 2004. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-001-24-9226009
Book Description Pandora Press, 2004. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0044408242