With up-to-date coverage of modern architectural approaches, this handbook provides a thorough discussion of the fundamentals of computer organization and architecture, as well as the critical role of performance in driving computer design. Captures the field’s continued innovations and improvements, with input from active practitioners. Reviews the two most prevalent approaches: superscalar, which has come to dominate the microprocessor design field, including the widely used Pentium; and EPIC, seen in the IA-64 architecture of Intel's Itanium. Views systems from both the architectural and organizational perspectives. Includes coverage of critical topics, such as bus organization, computer arithmetic, I/O modules, RISC, memory, and parallel processors. For professionals in computer product marketing or information system configuration and maintenance.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Stallings provides a clear, comprehensive presentation of the organization and architecture of modern-day computers, emphasizing both fundamental principles and the critical role of performance in driving computer design. The text conveys concepts through a wealth of concrete examples highlighting modern CISC and RISC systems. The Fourth Edition captures recent innovations and improvements, while maintaining a broad, all-inclusive perspective of the entire field.From the Back Cover:
* Use of numerous running examples, especially Pentium
* Unified instructional approach enables reader to evaluate instruction set design issues
* Expanded superscalar presentation to include the new examples of UltraSparc II and the MIPS R100000
* Detailed treatment of bus organization enables reader to better evaluate key design issues
* Detailed chapter coverage on RISC
* Extensive treatment of understanding of I/O functions and structures
The COMPANION WEBSITE for the book provides support for students, instructors and professionals
* Links to important up-to-date site related text materials.
* Provides transparency masters of figures from the book in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format.
* Lists a set of course notes in PDF for handouts.
* Includes a set of PowerPoint slides for lecturing.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Macmillan Library Reference, 1988. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. All orders are dispatched the following working day from our UK warehouse. Established in 2004, we have over 500,000 books in stock. No quibble refund if not completely satisfied. Bookseller Inventory # mon0002447993
Book Description Macmillan Library Reference. Book Condition: Good. Ex-library, so some stamps and wear, but in good overall condition. Bookseller Inventory # Z1-R-009-00062