The ultimate work of historical reference
From cavemen to the Cold War, from Alexander the Great to global warming, from warfare through the ages to the great voyages of exploration, The Times Complete History of the
World is the book that has all the answers.
This is the most comprehensive, authoritative and accessible work on world history available today. It has sold over 2.25million copies and has been translated into 18 other languages since its first publication in 1978. With a narrative scope covering the origins of mankind right through to the turmoil of the 21st century, this book is an unrivalled and breathtaking accomplishment.
With over 600 full-colour maps and charts on a wide range of historical subjects and representing the work of a team of professional historians, this new edition continues a tradition of nearly thirty years of excellence, style, authority and cutting-edge design. This edition is also internet-linked. Readers can follow the weblinks in the book to access the most up to date information permitting further in-depth exploration of key subjects.
With fully up-to-date text, including material on Iraq and Afghanistan, terrorism, Israel and the EU, this book, edited by leading modern historian Professor Richard Overy, is broadranging and more visually enticing than ever.
Updates for the eighth edition include:
• New material on the United States
• The most up-to-date research on prehistory
• Reworked spreads on the Middle East, including a new spread on Iran
• Current information on the global economy, the global environment, warfare and world terrorism
• New introduction
• Short biographies of 100 key figures in world history
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
• “This is one of the great works of historical reference in the English language. If you were allowed only one history book in the whole of your life, The Times Complete History of the World would be hard to beat because it conveys a sense not only of time, but also of place.”
Niall Ferguson, Professor of History, Harvard University.
• “Wonderfully told history, brilliant graphics and maps, comprehensive and utterly accessible. In the internet age, proof positive that this reference book still has the edge by a considerable margin.”
Richard Overy is Professor of History at the University of Exeter. He spent his earlier career teaching at Cambridge and at King's College, London. He has published over twenty books on the Second World War, the dictatorships of Hitler and Stalin and the history of air power. His most recent books include The Battle of Britain, The Dictators, The Morbid Age: Britain and the Crisis of Civilisation 1919-1939 and 1939: Countdown to War. He has edited the past three editions of the Times History of the World. He is a Fellow of the British Academy. In 2001 he won the Samuel Eliot Morison Prize for his contributions to military history and in 2010 the James Doolittle Award for his contribution to aviation history. He is currently director of the Centre for State, War and Society at Exeter University.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
(No Available Copies)
If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!Create a Want