The Times Atlas of London, published by Times Books, maps the story of the capital from its humble beginnings to the megacity it is today.
This authoritative and prestigious atlas charts London’s highs and lows through maps, rarely seen photographs and texts, as well as statistics, archive images, and historical accounts, giving an exceptionally detailed view of London and helping you to explore this great city. For local Londoners, tourists, and general readers wanting to find out what lies above and beneath the surface of this great city, The Times Atlas of London is the perfect place to start.
The book includes:
• 12 pages covering the history of mapping London with extracts from maps from the 16th century to the present day.
• A comprehensive borough-by-borough guide showing how each district has developed over the years.
• An illustrated chronology of London charting its remarkable history (including articles on famous Londoners, royal London, and sport in the capital), and extensive information on its parks, rivers, climate and geology.
• Stunning images of the capital.
• Before and after aerial photography and mapping.
• Discussions of important London themes, from literary London, to the meaning of London street names; from the capital’s theatre, to the famous Thames.
• Information on the make-up of London’s diverse population.
The Times Atlas of London will allow you to immerse yourself in the rich history of the city, as well as navigate the streets in the present day. This is the definitive London guide and an indispensable compendium for anyone looking to visit the capital for the 2012 Olympics.
Shown in the context of the rest of Britain, and in comparison to other world cities, this book conveys how London is truly distinct.
“By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.” (Samuel Johnson, 1773)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." (Samuel Johnson, 1777)
“London is a roost for every bird.” (Disraeli, 1870)
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
‘Times Books has produced yet another treat with this magnificent volume, the latest title in the prestigious Times Atlas series.’ Sheetlines, Journal of the Charles Close SocietyAbout the Author:
The world's most prestigious and authoritative maps and atlases.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2012. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P11000747878X
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2012. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: The Times Atlas of London, published by Times Books, maps the story of the capital from its humble beginnings to the megacity it is today. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_000747878X
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2012. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 000747878X