Popular guide covering the canals and waterways in the north west of England around Merseyside and Manchester. Colour Ordnance Survey® maps clearly show locks, towpaths and boating facilities. There are also comprehensive navigational notes as well as descriptions of the towns and villages, pubs and restaurants alongside the waterways.
In print for over 30 years, the Collins/Nicholson guides to the waterways have always been a vital part of journeys along Britain’s canals and rivers. They are designed for anyone and everyone with an interest in Britain’s inland waterways – from experienced boaters to those planning their first boat trip, as well as walkers, cyclists and visitors.
The Ordnance Survey ® Maps have added information showing:
• Locks, bridges, tunnels, aqueducts, winding holes and towpaths.
• Waterpoints, sanitary stations, pump out facilities and refuse disposal.
• Boatyards, pubs, restaurants and local shops.
• Mile markers and milestones (distance in miles and number of locks to strategic points along the waterways).
• The history and background to each canal.
• Local services and places of interest, pubs and restaurants and NEW for this edition: postcodes added for each place.
• Opportunities for walking and cycling.
• NEW for this edition: notes on wildlife to be found along the waterways.
Comprehensive navigational notes include:
• Maximum dimensions and low bridges.
• Mileages, advice and potential hazards.
• Navigation authorities and contact details.
Waterways covered in this guide – Aire & Calder Navigation, Bridgewater Canal, Calder & Hebble Navigation, Huddersfield Narrow Canal, Huddersfield Broad Canal, Lancaster Canal, Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Macclesfield Canal, Peak Forest and Ashton Canals, Rochdale Canal, Trent & Mersey Canal.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"Taste in guide books can be a very personal thing, but few serious boaters will venture out without a Nicholson's Guide. There is a wealth of information that even the most experienced cannot hope to keep abreast of, and the guides are welcome valuable for cyclists and walkers too." The Inland Waterways Association.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 2009. Spiral-bound. Book Condition: New. New edition. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX000728165X