Collins Practical Gardener shows you how to use the exotic shapes and dramatic character of architectural plants to enliven your garden.
Architectural plants such as ferns, palms, bamboos, and cacti can make a bold statement in the garden. Usually exotic, they are grown for their strong shape and year round presence. This entry in the Collins Practical Gardener series shows you how to master the fastest growing area of horticulture in Britain today.
The bulk of the book comprises a comprehensive directory of the most common architectural plants available for growing. Each entry includes:
• Background information on general characteristics, planting and care
• A table of plant care with easily-accessed advice on soil, site, watering, pruning, general care, and pests and diseases
• Colour-coded icons to indicate hardiness
• Expert tip boxes for the best results
The book opens with a practical guide to essential gardening techniques that covers:
• Assessing your plot for soil quality, drainage, sun and shade
• Where to buy and how to tell if the plant is healthy
• Advice for planting trees and plants
• Creative ideas for planting combinations
• Specialist care for architectural plants throughout the year, including winter protection, brown bitting and pruning
• Increasing stock with propagation techniques
The book closes with a section on plant problems that includes:
• A trouble-shooting chart to identify the problem
• An exhaustive directory of pests and diseases
Let the Practical Gardener show you how architectural plants can make your garden come to life.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
“Christine Shaw has put together an excellent, practical guide… There are some really exciting plants here, for every size of garden.”
– Folio magazine
Christine Shaw studied horticulture at the Isle of Wight Horticultural College while working nights as a croupier. She has worked at Angus White's famous nursery near Horsham, and set up a new branch at Chichester in 1996, which she continues to run. In addition, Christine has established a successful career for herself as a freelance horticultural journalist, writing articles for The English Garden, Garden Inspirations, RHS The Garden and Exotic Gardening.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins. Paperback. Book Condition: Brand New. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk0007146558
Book Description Collins -, -. Book Condition: NEW. -- (illustrator). Original Books from across the World in Brand New Condition --------- It can be shipped from U.S, Canada, Germany & India/Overseas centre subject to availability.____0199218676_____9780007146550. book. Bookseller Inventory # SIP-STK-2010
Book Description Collins, 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0007146558
Book Description Collins, 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0007146558