A one-stop reference for all amateur and intermediate gardeners, this is the definitive book on cultivating flowering shrubs. Part of the best-selling Collins Practical Gardener series, books that tell you everything you need to know to start a flourishing garden.
Continuting in the high-quality tradition for which the Practical Gardener series has become known, Flowering Shrubs covers all small-growing, commonly available shrubs known for their decorative qualities.
The bulk of the book is a comprehensive directory of the most common flowering shrubs available for growing. Entries include:
• Background information on general characteristics, planting and care
• A visual chart listing the most popular varieties and cultivars, with instantly-accessable information on flower colour, height, spread, hardiness, moisture and sunlight requirements
• Seasonal guides indicating when the plant is in flower and fruit
• A table of plant care with concise advice on soil, site, general care, pruning and plant problems
• Expert tip boxes for the best results
• Special sections on heathers and conifers, with an introduction to architectural plants
The book opens with a practical guide to essential gardening techniques that covers:
• Assessing your plot for soil quality, drainage, sun and shade
• Where to buy your plant and how to tell if it’s healthy
• Planting with rootballs, exposed roots and shrubs in containers
• Creative ideas for planting combinations
• Caring for shrubs throughout the year
• When and how to prune
• Increasing your stock with propagation techniques
The book closes with a section on plant problems that includes:
• A trouble-shooting flow chart to help identify the problem
• An exhaustive directory of pests and diseases
Overall, this is the most accessible, stylish and useful guide on how to cultivate your flowering shrubs.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Keith Rushforth has written ten books on trees, shrubs, conifers and other horticultural subjects, including the Collins Wildlife Trust Trees of Britain and Europe (1999), Mitchell Beazley Pocket Guide to Trees (1980) and The Easy Tree Guide (Arum, 2001). He is a Chartered Forester and Arboricultural Consultant, and also a Member of the Institute of Horticulture, who delights in making hunting trips in search of plants.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Collins, 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0007146531