In an age obsessed with the pursuit of eternal youth, it is easy to lose sight of our true selves and to allow the mind to become a slave to the body. Drawing on the wisdom of the ancients and her expertise in yoga, breathwork and meditation, Swami Ambikananda shows us how to open up to the power of the mind and retain our youthful vitality.
• For the first time in history, vast numbers of us are living past youth and adulthood and continuing on into old age. Yet old age is something that most of us regard with dread and often it is too tempting not to surrender to depression, apathy or even the surgeon's knife as time ticks by.
In this powerful book Swami Ambikananda shows us how ageing can – and should – be a deeply fulfilling experience.
She explains the five different waves of ageing that we must go through in order to get the most out of this spiritual adventure:
– Making the Unconscious Conscious
– Opening Up
– Staying in Touch
– Turning to Face the Other Way
In each of these waves she discusses the physical changes that we will go through, connects these changes to a different stage in our spiritual development, and suggests practical exercises to help us ride the wave with joy and confidence.
– Feel young forever with simple exercises
– Acknowledge past hurt – be it deeply buried or just under the surface – and move on
– Rediscover and follow your dreams
– Understand how and why your body needs to change
– Feel at one with yourself and the natural cycle of the world
– Flexible mind, flexible body: harness the power of your mind to keep your body young
This book has a practical, informative and spiritual approach that teaches us not to deny what is happening in our bodies, but to use it to arrive at a more complete view of ourselves and our relationship with the world.
Illustrated with line drawings throughout, this is a book to savour and treasure.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
'Tap in to a new spiritual, emotional and physical vitality'
In this powerful book, Swami Ambikananda challenges the myth that we can only realise our full potential in our youth and that dreams only belong to the young. Instead she shows us that as we grow older our quest is to gather up the experience of our years and to use it to reconnect to our ageless and timeless self. This is the immortal spirit within that is always urging us to follow paths of growth and renewal. If we can take up its spiritual and physical challenges our experience of old age will be rich, rewarding and joyful. Swami Ambikananda shows us how we can rise to these challenges by exploring five different stages, or waves of aging:
• The First Wave – 'Make the Unconscious Conscious' – recover and fulfil dreams buried by the demands of youth
• The Second Wave – 'Opening Up' – let go of events and dreams whose times have passed and have the courage to move on
• The Third Wave – 'Staying in Touch' – overcome isolation by staying in touch with everything that it means to be human
• The Fourth Wave – 'Recreating Yourself' – redirect your creative energies to become the person you've always wanted to be
• The Fifth Wave – 'Turn to Face the Other Way' – approach death with curiosity and have the courage to look beyond its horizon
Swami Ambikananda shares spiritual practises and physical exercises that will help you experience each wave to the full. She also shows you how to use your body's changes to embrace your true nature and arrive at a new self-knowledge and spiritual and physical vitality. This is an incredible, life-enhancing book that will completely transform your perception of aging and empower you to finally become the person that you have always wanted to be.About the Author:
Swami Ambikananda is a yoga teacher, acupuncturist and herbalist with a private practice in Reading. Many years ago she came to the realisation that without dealing with the breath and the breathing habits of each patient, healing possibilities were reduced. She runs ‘Conscious Breathing’ workshops throughout the UK four times a year.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Element Books Ltd., 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX000712824X