Topical and groundbreaking guide to the chemicals in our cosmetics – those ‘toxic toiletries’
We all want to know about the content of our food – but when it comes to the chemicals which we massage into our skin, soak our bodies in, scrub our teeth and gums with or paint onto delicate facial skin we are very trusting of cosmetics companies – “It wouldn’t be sold if it wasn’t safe” – or would it…?
A fifth of the chemicals used by the cosmetics industry are known to cause harm. That’s about 1000 commonly used substances. Cosmetics Unmasked does not set out to scare, but rather to provide information to help us make informed choices about toiletries and beauty products.
• The low-down on key themes such as Allergies, Baby Care, Animal Testing, Sun Tanning, Ageing.
• User’s guide to what’s in all the basic products – from lipstick to deodorant.
• A–Z of cosmetic ingredients – with info on why it’s in your product and whether it’s known to have any adverse/harmful effects.
• Marketing tricks such as use of the term ‘hypo-allergenic’ – which has little real meaning
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
How to crack the cosmetic code.
Have you ever used a cosmetic or toiletry that has left you with sore or itching skin? Have you then looked at the list of ingredients to find out why, only to be faced with a meaningless list of chemicals? Like most people, you’ve probably given up at this first hurdle and have simply stopped using the products that don’t agree with you. We tend to be very trusting. We assume that the products we buy are safe and that what the advertisers say is true. If we have a problem with a cosmetic we assume it’s because we have sensitive skin rather than because the product contains potentially harmful chemicals. But should we be so trusting? And do these products live up to the advertisers’ claims?
This book helps you to crack the cosmetic code. It helps you to understand what the unpronounceable ingredients are and why they are used. Cosmetics generally have a good safety record and most people have found products they are happy with. But equally, most people have, at some point in their lives, suffered from an adverse reaction to a cosmetic or toiletry. This book will help you to understand why and how to avoid these problems.
Cosmetics Unmasked includes:
- an alphabetical list covering about 2,000 ingredients, explaining their function, where they come from and any known adverse or harmful effects
- an A to Z of cosmetic terms
- an eye-opening guide to what’s in all the main cosmetic products – from lipstick and deodorant to baby wipes and sun cream
- the lowdown on all the commonly used marketing jargon such as ‘anti-ageing’, ‘anti-wrinkle’ and ‘hypo-allergenic’
- guidance on key areas such as baby products, skin conditions, allergies, animal products and animal testing, safe suntans and the ageing process.
With this book, the cosmetics industry will no longer be able to pull the scientific wool over your eyes...From the Back Cover:
A fifth of the chemicals used by the cosmetics industry are known to cause harm. That's over 1,000 commonly used substances.
We're increasingly careful about the content of the food we eat, but when it comes to the chemicals which we daily massage into our skin, soak up in the bath, scrub our teeth and gums with or paint onto our delicate facial skin we are very trusting.
This essential guide includes:
• Whats really in all the main cosmetic products – from lipstick and deodorant to baby wipes and sun cream.
• The low-down on all the commonly used, and often meaningless, marketing jargon
• Key information on allergies, skin conditions, baby care, animal testing, safe suntans and anti-ageing products.
• Safe baby and child products.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Thorsons, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0007105681
Book Description Thorsons, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. First Edition. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0007105681
Book Description Thorsons, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110007105681
Book Description Thorsons, 2001. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Brand New. Delivery is usually 4 - 8 business days from day of order. Hassle free return policy satisfaction is guaranteed! Tracking number provided with every order. Ships within 24 hours. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000004375
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800071056871.0