A thematic compilation of around 14,000 quotations ancient and modern.
The Collins Quotation FInder includes around 14,000 quotations arranged thematically, from Acting, Fame and Belief to Religion, Sport and Last Words. The collection is drawn from an enormous range of sources, from Homer to Homer Simpson, from Christopher Marlowe to Norman Mailer, from Herodotus to Ian Hislop, and from Hello! magazine to New Scientist.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
'QUIZ' (answers below)
• (a) Whose words shamed Senator Joseph McCarthy and brought the American anti-communist witchhunt to an end?
• (b) Who said of haggis, 'it tastes as good as it sounds?'
• (c) Which modern novelist was identified because he was seen as 'quite distinctive, being bald, Scottish and ugly?'
• (d) Why were all the great crime writers of the 1920s female?
• (e) What was 'a great day for the Isle of Wight?'
A thematic compilation of over 13,000 quotations ancient and modern, on topics from Acting, Fame and Belief, to Religion, Sport and Last Words, drawn from sources ranging from Homer to Homer Simpson, from Christopher Marlowe to Norman Mailer, from Herodotus to Ian Hislop, from 'Hello!' magazine to 'New Scientist.'
(a) Joseph Welch – see PERSECUTION
(b) groundskeeper Willie in The Simpsons – see FOOD AND DRINK
(c) Because the men were all dead – see WRITERS
(d) Anthony Minghella, on winning an Oscar – see CINEMA
'The Collins Quotation Finder' is the latest addition to the range of Collins Quotation dictionaries. Other titles in the series include:
'Collins Concise Dictionary of Quotations'
Collins Gem Dictionary of Quotations
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0004723848
Book Description HarperCollins UK, 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0004723848