The workshop approach to learning to paint is based on active, "hands-on" participation by the student. With this in mind, "Oils Workshop" - the fourth title in Collins' "Workshop" series for the leisure painter - combines instructional teaching by a professional artist with practical exercises and projects which are specifically designed to encourage students to develop their own style and ideas, rather than just copying those of other artists. Included are practical tips, ideas and a wide selection of paintings to show different styles and techniques for inspiration.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
A PRACTICAL COURSE IN OIL PAINTING TO DEVELOP SKILLS AND CONFIDENCE
• Practical projects and exercises
• System of self-assessment
• Demonstration paintings
• Guidelines for improving painting skills
• Helpful tips and checklists
• Varied subject matter, including still life, interiors, figures, landscapes, seascapes and buildings
• Inspirational work by well-known contemporary artists
The workshop approach to learning to paint is based on active participation by the student under the guidance of a professional tutor. In ' Oils Workshop' instructional teaching is carefully combined with practical work, and from the start the emphasis is on the importance of developing an individual style rather than copying that of other artists.
Oil paint can be the perfect medium for anyone learning to paint. It is extremely versatile and flexible, its slow drying time allowing the artist to manipulate the paint extensively until just the right effect is achieved. Colours may be used thickly, in impasto style, or diluted to a wash-like consistency, and there is endless scope between these two extremes.
The book contains a number of features to encourage students to try out techniques for themselves – just as if they were attending a workshop – and to stimulate them to create their own original work. These include:
• 'Projects' – of varying degrees of difficulty and with a system of self-assessment to monitor progress
• ' Exercises' – putting theory into practice
• ' Demonstrations' – developing a painting step-by-step
• 'Methods and materials' – comprehensive guidelines to improve painting skills
• 'Practical tips' – helpful hints and checklists
• 'Ideas and Inspiration' – varied subject matter, ranging from still life, interiors and figures to landscapes, seascapes and buildings
As well as Richard Pikesley's own paintings, the work of several other well-known contemporary artists is included, illustrating a wide variety of styles and techniques, and revealing the versatility and beauty of the medium.
' Oils Workshop', with its emphasis on practical work and the development of ideas, provides an ideal introduction to the fundamental principles of oil painting. Both beginners and painters with some experience will find it an essential guide – inspirational as well as instructional – which will encourage them to paint with increasing skill and confidence.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Harpercollins Publisher, 1997. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110004129644
Book Description Harpercollins Publisher, 1997. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0004129644