AbeBooks Privacy Notice
Last Updated: April 11, 2012. To see what's changed, click here.
- Controller of Personal Information
- What Personal Information About Customers Does AbeBooks.co.uk Gather?
- What About Cookies?
- Does AbeBooks.co.uk Share the Information It Receives?
- How Secure Is Information About Me?
- What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
- Which Information Can I Access?
- What Choices Do I Have?
- Are Children Allowed to Use AbeBooks.co.uk?
- Conditions of Use, Notices and Revisions
- Examples of Information Collected
Generally you can access our web services without disclosing personal data to us. It is always your choice whether or not to provide us with your personal data.
If you would like to register, purchase or sell books via our web sites or subscribe to our newsletter, the disclosure of personal data is necessary. This data includes your name, your address, your e-mail and other personal data which is requested by AbeBooks in individual cases.
The information we learn from customers helps us personalise and continually improve your shopping experience at AbeBooks.co.uk. Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. Click here to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customising future shopping for you, improving our website, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses AbeBooks.co.uk or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of Abebooks.co.uk on other Web sites. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from AbeBooks.co.uk if your computer supports such capabilities. At any time you may ask us to stop sending you commercial e-mail by sending your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, each commercial e-mail we send to you will tell you how to decline further unsolicited e-mail.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser, to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide features, such as the storage of items in your Shopping Basket between visits and personalised ads on other Web sites.
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we're not in the business of selling it to others. AbeBooks shares customer information only as described below, with our affiliates and with our parent corporation, Amazon.com, Inc., and the subsidiaries it controls. Amazon.com, Inc. and its controlled US subsidiaries are participants in the Safe Harbour programme developed by the US Department of Commerce and the European Union. These Amazon Group companies have certified that they adhere to the Safe Harbour Privacy Principles agreed upon by the US and the EU.
- Buying and Selling on AbeBooks: If you would like to purchase or sell books via the AbeBooks web sites, we will transmit your personal data to the respective contractual partner (buyer or seller) for the purpose of processing the contract. If you sell books via partner companies (including those which are not controlled by AbeBooks), in individual cases it can be necessary that we also transmit your personal data to these companies for the purpose of selling your books.
- Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We work closely with our affiliated businesses. In some cases, these businesses may operate stores at AbeBooks.co.uk or sell offerings to you at AbeBooks.co.uk. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions, and we share customer information related to those transactions with that third party.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include, sending e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payment card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. These service providers are obliged to treat your data according to this Privacy Notice and the relevant data protection legislation.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes, we may send offers to selected groups of AbeBooks.co.uk customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we don't give that business your name and address.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you'll receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you'll have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you enter.
- We reveal only the last four digits of your payment card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire payment card number to the appropriate payment card company during order processing.
- It's important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and your computer. Be sure to sign off when you've finished using a shared computer.
Our site may include third-party advertising and links to other websites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information to these advertisers or third-party websites.
AbeBooks.co.uk may also display personalised third-party advertising based on personal information about customers, such as purchases on AbeBooks.co.uk. Click here for more information about the personal information that we gather. Although AbeBooks.co.uk does not provide any personal information to advertisers, advertisers (including ad-serving companies) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalised advertisement meet their criteria to personalise the ad (for example, users in the United Kingdom who bought or browsed for classical music books).
AbeBooks.co.uk gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with AbeBooks.co.uk for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Click here to see some examples. This list will change as our website evolves.
- You can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to make a purchase or to take advantage of AbeBooks.co.uk features such as the Shopping Basket.
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those listed in the "Which Information Can I Access?" section, above. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the prior version for our records.
- You have the right to access, update and modify your personal data, and to object to its processing. You can exercise this right by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- At any time you may ask us to stop sending you commercial e-mail by sending your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, each commercial e-mail we send to you will tell you how to decline further unsolicited e-mail.
If you're under 18, you may use AbeBooks.co.uk only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
If you choose to visit AbeBooks.co.uk, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Policy and our Terms and Conditions, including limitations on damages, and application of the laws of Germany.
Information You Give Us
You provide most information when you search, register, buy, sell, post, participate in a prize draw or questionnaire, or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you search for a product; make an order; provide information in Your Account (and you might have more than one, if you've used more than one e-mail address when shopping with us); communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a prize draw entry. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and telephone number; payment card information; names of people to whom purchases have been shipped, including address and telephone number; e-mails to us; and financial information.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include credit history information from our affiliates and credit bureaus, which we use to help prevent and detect fraud and to offer certain credit or financial services to some customers.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can currently access easily at AbeBooks.co.uk include up-to-date information regarding recent orders, personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, and address book), and payment settings (including payment card information).