Presents the fundamentals of microcomputer hardware and software for those with little or no computer and electronics background, but with knowledge of digital systems. Using the Motorola 68HC11 as the example, the book covers both lecture and laboratory material.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
This book focuses on microcomputers and microprocessors used as control devices (e.g., the Motorola 68HC11). Extensive material on using the Motorola M6HC11EVB and M68HC11EBU Trainers.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- NEW—Features extensive new material on real-time embedded systems.
- First discusses simple interrupt-driven systems — using working software examples.
- Then develops a small real-time operating system — with both discussion and assembly language examples of each part of the system software.
- NEW—Updates exercises throughout.
- NEW—Some of the laboratory reference material is provided on a World Wide Web Site page.
* Discusses reentrancy and concurrency problems and their solutions. * Includes the design of a complete real-time system.
- Provides extensive coverage on using the Motorola M68HC11EVB trainers with an IBM PC compatible computer — however, does not require use of this equipment.
- Thoroughly discusses the internal input/output hardware of the 68HC11 — with assembly language examples provided to demonstrate each device.
- Emphasizes understanding of fundamental computer operation.
- Includes many short examples with graphics to illustrate the internal registers and their uses
- Contains discussions and examples — not just lists — of machine instructions and addressing modes.
- Uses Motorola notation and terminology so the user can easily reference Motorola manuals.
- Features many assembly language examples that show the uses of instructions and hardware devices.
- Listings avoid statements unique to a particular assembler.
- Devotes an entire chapter to good programming approaches and software design.
- Examples of bad programming practice are discussed.
- Uses structured programming throughout.
- Covers subroutines in great depth and with excellent examples.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.