A history of the American South from colonial times to the 1990s. The book traces the evolution of the South as a rural and agricultural area to an increasingly urban and industrial one, and stresses the interaction between the South as a distinct region and the South as part of the United States.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
- THE AMERICAN SOUTH : A HISTORY, is a comprehensive history of the South from colonial times to the present.
- Stresses the dynamics of the relationship between black and white Southerners that have shaped the southern experience for more than three centuries.
- Traces the evolution of the South as a rural and agricultural area to an increasingly urban and industrial one.
- Volume One: Covers the South from the first permanent settlement in Virginia in 1607 to the Civil War - Chapters 1-15.
- Volume Two: Concentrates on the monuments decades from the defeat of the southern Confederacy in 1865 to our time - Chapters 15-28.
- Based on the most current research available on the South.
- Completely rewritten for clarity.
- Biographical Essay - Revised and updated.
- Over 1/3 of the illustrations and photos in this edition have been changed.
- Expanded Treatment of Indians.
- New attention is focused on colonial Florida and Louisiana, including material on settlement, slavery, social and economic development, and the American Revolution in the Gulf region.
- Volume two has been updated to reflect the political changes of the 1990's.
- Expanded coverage of the Western part of the South, and the petroleum industry.
- Expanded discussion of music from jazz and the blues to country, gospel and rock.
- Other important topics significantly revised include: Women's Suffrage, The Great Textile Strike of 1934, the economic problems with cheap labor posed for the south, cattle ranching and the beef industry, tourism and the retirement industry.
- Vol I Chapters 1-15, and Vol II Chapters 15-28
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description McGraw-Hill Companies, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110070644403
Book Description McGraw-Hill Companies, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 2 Sub. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0070644403
Book Description McGraw-Hill Companies, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0070644403
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800706444031.0
Book Description McGraw-Hill Companies, 1995. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0070644403